Xbox Generations

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Xbox Generations

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 12th, 2017, 9:46 pm

The original Xbox broke Microsoft into the console market in style, and the 360 put them on the top of the heap. Microsoft overplayed their hand of course, leading to a pretty dismal showing for the Xbox One so far.

Now they are trying to "change the rules" of console gaming, by introducing a PC-like, incremental approach to consoles.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/ ... al-future/

As usual, they are missing the boat. Before this bastardized generation, the whole draw of console games was easy plug-and-play with minimal fuss. By muddying the waters Microsoft is making a mistake on par with the Sega of the mid-90s.

I get it - they want their console to be perpetually on the cutting edge. But who are they catering to? PC gamers? Well, those people already have their fancy rigs and probably don't need a console. And based on the reception to VR hardware so far, I don't think that's going to get them back into the race either. Games for 4K displays will definitely be a thing next generation, but right now I don't think many gamers are chomping at the bit for it.

I think most of the console gaming community is more concerned with fun than specs. That's why the Nintendo Switch (and the Wii long before it) was an unexpected hit. I like to see competition in the console market, but Microsoft has developed a habit of shooting themselves in the foot. At this rate are going to push themselves right out of console gaming.

Your thoughts?

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Xbox Generations

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 12th, 2017, 10:23 pm

All three of the remaining big horses shoot themselves in the foot at one time or another. People tend to forget how much Sony messed up the first 3-4 years of the PS3. Since then they've been good again and dominate by trying to give gamers what they want. Nintendo is Nintendo and you might as well flip a coin as to what side of the crazy train their current mood is. Right now they seem to be taking their meds and delivering the goods. Microsoft always takes one step forward and then three steps back.

It's funny because Microsoft seemed to pick up SEGA's torch of attitude and delivering what "Nintendont". Much like the ill fated Japanese company they seem headed for failure. Honestly, Microsoft's deep pockets are about the only thing keeping the Xbox brand alive. If memory serves correctly the xbox division rarely turns a profit. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last real console that Microsoft makes. I could see them trying to fuse Xbox into Windows somehow and making the PC something you connect to your TV for some reason. Who the hell knows...it would sure be more interesting than what they're currently doing.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 12th, 2017, 11:29 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote: Nintendo is Nintendo and you might as well flip a coin as to what side of the crazy train their current mood is. Right now they seem to be taking their meds and delivering the goods.

Quote of the day right there. As for who are they catering too, its 'everybody'. They want things to be scalable so that the spec crazy gamers shell out for each iteration, and this helps the brand, while more pedestrian types who want their investment to last 4 or more years or want the basic model will still get the same game, but at marginally lower resolution and framerates. I don't think scaling is a bad thing, and it seems the loss of 'pick up and play' is a more serious issue.

Some snippets from the full interview with Phil Spencer

In terms of where console will go, I still believe in the power of a television in the home. Now some people don't, right. I happen to have two daughters, they're younger, they don't watch TV -- they watch things on their laptop, right. This big screen on the wall that's a communal viewing service is something of my age demographic, and not theirs. That said, she'll come down and play games with me. So I believe in that television experience, which I really believe console is docked to, in my mind. Console let's four of us grab controllers and try to go play Overcooked or something. I think that experience is magical.

Here we have a couple of ideas - that consoles are linked to televisions, and that younger generation may be less interested in gaming on television, and - something The Critic might like - an appreciation for couch co-op (not online) play on a console.

Unless the prices of the consoles themselves change to where they're not a subsidized piece of hardware but rather something that's profitable, like other consumer electronic devices, I don't think you're going to see a constant iteration in the console space.

Here we get some good news if the idea of iterative consoles within a generation is unnerving. For Sony and MS, a new console is not profitable in isolation, but only when it gets attached to the ecosystem. For a Nintendo, they have a different mindset.

This is the year I think people are predicting that broadcast viewership of games will exceed playing hours of games? I don't know where people come up with those stats. And playing hours are going up. We know this. This industry's massive. It's over a hundred billion dollars, the game industry, globally. It's a massive business, and it's just finding more and more ways of reaching gamers every day, which is I think good for all of us. I mean, there are many months on YouTube where Minecraft is the number one or two search term on all of YouTube.

The fascination with watching hours of other people gaming eludes me, but that's part of the breadth of the hobby now. Spencer says that video games globally are a 100 billion dollar industry. Big numbers.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 13th, 2017, 12:44 pm

I'm more concerned with fun than specs... but there is a spec I care about, 60 FPS.

MS, make 60 FPS standard on Scorpio and I'm in.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

My first console was the 2600, and I think I still get more enjoyment out of that thing than anything I have seen on current gen stuff. I just dont get this generation of gaming. I dont know if I am finally out of touch with gaming, or if it is just bat sh!t crazy. Mid gen upgrades, regular versions, slim versions, VR, all kinds of weird integration with computers and mobile devices. I just have no interest. I like my PS3 and my WiiU because I can just turn them on and they work. I select what I want it to do, and it does the thing with no issues. I feel like that is the last generation of that type of gaming. Things seem to be moving to the "always online" style, which is garbage if you ask me.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 13th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Rookie1 wrote:My first console was the 2600, and I think I still get more enjoyment out of that thing than anything I have seen on current gen stuff. I just dont get this generation of gaming. I dont know if I am finally out of touch with gaming, or if it is just bat sh!t crazy. Mid gen upgrades, regular versions, slim versions....

First, I didn't have an Atari 2600 growing, but I agree its one of my favorites anyway.

To be fair, there are lots of versions of the 2600 - from Sears models to heavy sixers to the Jr.

Computers of the time really had this issue. Buy one, and it only had a few kilobytes of RAM. So you buy RAM expansions. Those really make it a different machine.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 13th, 2017, 5:24 pm

scotland wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:My first console was the 2600, and I think I still get more enjoyment out of that thing than anything I have seen on current gen stuff. I just dont get this generation of gaming. I dont know if I am finally out of touch with gaming, or if it is just bat sh!t crazy. Mid gen upgrades, regular versions, slim versions....

First, I didn't have an Atari 2600 growing, but I agree its one of my favorites anyway.

To be fair, there are lots of versions of the 2600 - from Sears models to heavy sixers to the Jr.

Computers of the time really had this issue. Buy one, and it only had a few kilobytes of RAM. So you buy RAM expansions. Those really make it a different machine.

well shoot, i think you got me. There was the 4 and 6 switch versions. The black and wood paneled. And heck, i think there was even a slim version. lol

Maybe I am just out of touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 13th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Count me as another one that's against the current console trends. Xbox and PS are too much like PC gaming now. I'll be passing on Scorpio. Hell I don't even have a 4K tv and I'm in no hurry to get one.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 15th, 2017, 5:47 am

I am in. Good specs. Updating all of the hardware. Next gen hdmi. Everything running smoothly. Backwards compatible games run better on the Scorpio. Also if you have the disc you get to play your old games for free. Something that the deep pocketed Nintendo players will be lacking with the switch. Already the S supports 4k HD ultra as standard. For me conjecture aside. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting.

Nintendo.

Nintendo have been doing a Sega of late. Annoying all of their fans by putting out a console and not supporting it. Wii U anyone? I know the critic loves it but the truth of the matter is that it sold the least of any console well apart from the spectacular bomb that was the virtual boy. The console has been dumped and now is being sold quite a lot cheaper. It seems to have been a console they were desperate to see flounder. Not just because they never upgraded it but because it never got two of the best Nintendo game series on it? No Wave racer/Fzero or metroid prime.

Okay they have the new kid on the block the Switch. It is selling well. Though it has a problem, the problem Atari had when it launched the 7800. No one is producing games for it. I know it is early in the development cycle but it does not bode well for the long term. Here is it BIG title. Payday 2. Yep the fun fps crime wave game that is 4 years old. Already out on ps4 and 1. You have zelda and that is about it. Bomberman? Bomberman seems to be a version of the game which came out on 360 for £4 but is now £45. What no wario ware came? NO WARIO WARE?
Also there are reports that the hardware has some slow down on zelda. Slowdown normally means that the system is up at it top level and they have pushed the boundaries with it. With a launch title that is bad news as it means or could mean this is as good as it is going to get for the new Ninny. Or it could be they have not got to grips with the system yet.
Nintendo have always been about gimmicks. If you buy into them you have a good time. Motion controls, second screens red 3d.. Last good ninny console? The cube. The switch is too expensive for what it is. The wii U is dead (unfortunately).

It is the same thing for Sony a fun console though it does currently have the vr gimmick. Which by all accounts is selling better than the switch. It also has more software on it.

Where as with MS you always have fun as the main thing about the consoles. Also with a lot if indie titles you get to play many generations. With the 1 they did a lot of things wrong at the start but there is a lot of things they are starting to do right. I played an interactive book a couple of weeks back and it was thrilling. Not something that I would normally say about interactive books. Also I played a new FMV game. The Bunker. FMV optimised for a new generation of players. Things can only get better with the Scorpio.

For me the Scorpio is the one to watch. For a seasoned gamer like me, it seems to have all the ideas I like in the one place. Though this is just conjecture at the moment. Well I have better get back to playing Mass Effect Andromeda.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 16th, 2017, 8:50 am

Polygon article is almost Scorpio propaganda, going on and on about how great this mid generation change will help consumers by saving old games from obsolescence and lack of support. Yeah, right. Sure, PCs have evolved that way thanks to the DOSbox emulator, but its hardly guaranteed for consoles, and no reason for any of the commercial companies to think long backwards compatibility works for them. Even for similar ideas like Android, as the OS changes, older programs stop being compatible or they update to stay compatible with newer hardware while older hardware slowly loses the ability to play games anymore.

Return to “Modern Gaming”