Got a Nintendo Switch!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Got a Nintendo Switch!

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2017, 4:43 pm

I picked up the Switch version of Zelda and sent an email to Amazon to cancel the perpetually-delayed Wii U version.
I do plan on picking up the Wii U version at some point, but it can wait.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 14th, 2017, 5:25 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I picked up the Switch version of Zelda and sent an email to Amazon to cancel the perpetually-delayed Wii U version.
I do plan on picking up the Wii U version at some point, but it can wait.

Critic, if you do want more retail Nintendo Switch game recommendations as more comes out/get an official release date announce, I will let you know via posting here or email.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 15th, 2017, 7:43 am

CaptainCruch wrote:I think the Switch will mainly have downloadable-only titles...

They need to up that hard drive size if this is going to be the case. Yes, you can expand, but to get a large capacity micro SD isnt that cheep right now. To get a quality micro SD at say 256gb, its going to run you about $200. You can get a lesser quality for less than half that, but its going to run like crap and youre probably going to end up formatting it on more than one occasion.

I recently bought a windows tablet with a 32gb SSD. So far the windows updates have left me with 6gb out of that and it wont update anymore because there is not enough room lol. And yes, I have cleared out the old updates a nd junk files left behind.

32gb is just way too small for anything these days.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 15th, 2017, 9:19 am

Rookie1 wrote:
CaptainCruch wrote:I think the Switch will mainly have downloadable-only titles...

I recently bought a windows tablet with a 32gb SSD. So far the windows updates have left me with 6gb out of that and it wont update anymore because there is not enough room lol. And yes, I have cleared out the old updates a nd junk files left behind.

32gb is just way too small for anything these days.

That is something we can agree on. I have a 32gig cloudbook from acer. Luckily for me it will install updates otherwise there would be no hard drive left. It is great as a portable pc.. it is just rubbish as a pc.. due to the fact I cannot download anything on it.

I was thinking of upgrading it to 64 gig but it probably not worth it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Got my Caseology screen protector for my Switch today! Two-pack. Of course, one came cracked so I only had one shot.

If you've applied a screen protector you know it can be a harrowing ordeal. I thought I got it on my first attempt, but there was ONE BIG ASS BUBBLE near the top I could not rub out. So I pulled off the protector (it's a hard plastic) and tried to clear that area with the sticker they give you. Naturally doing that introduced even more dust and I was getting flustered. But when I put it on the second time, no bubbles. I did notice one or two little dust "hairs" but hey, you can't have everything. By tomorrow I probably won't notice those, especially since I plan on playing on the TV most of the time.

Ready for action!

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 15th, 2017, 8:44 pm

One trick to applying a screen protector is to run the shower in the bathroom with the door closed, get it steamy in there and that will keep the dust particles down while you apply the screen protector.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 15th, 2017, 10:45 pm

I'm absolutely a proponent of physical media, but lately I've been getting burned on all of the soulless, big budget physical media games and living it up on downloadable gold. In the same day I bought RE6 and a downloadable bundle of Limbo and Inside. I couldn't stay interested in RE6 for more than an hour, yet the $20 indie pair ha e taken over my TV for the past week, between myself and my sons. You would be hard pressed to catch me downloading a game at a physical media price ($50-$60), but 20 bucks is a great price to pay for a week or so of pure gaming bliss.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 16th, 2017, 1:06 pm

MoarRipter wrote:One trick to applying a screen protector is to run the shower in the bathroom with the door closed, get it steamy in there and that will keep the dust particles down while you apply the screen protector.

You know I normally do that in a bathroom (to minimize the dust) but didn't this time for some reason. Lesson learned.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 16th, 2017, 1:13 pm

So I've been able to put in some time with Zelda on my Switch, and here are some early thoughts.

Love the cell-shaded look of the game. Very attractive and unique.

The controls feel very crisp but I find that lower right thumbstick to be cramp-inducing. Might need to invest in a pro controller at some point.

Exploration in this game is very enjoyable. I can't remember the last time I was satisfied just trekking around the countryside scouring ruins for secrets.

The new crafting element concerns me. I'm picking up a million different ingredients and I'm worried how complicated it's going to get. Likewise the climbing is okay until you fall to your death for no apparent reason.

It's a shame Nintendo didn't go the extra mile and include an old-fashioned NES style manual.

I took the Switch off its dock to play on the porch and it worked pretty well until the sun came out. Still, I'm worried about toting around a $300 piece of hardware. I would hate to drop it on the concrete.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » April 16th, 2017, 2:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The new crafting element concerns me. I'm picking up a million different ingredients and I'm worried how complicated it's going to get. Likewise the climbing is okay until you fall to your death for no apparent reason.

As someone who dislikes overly complicated crafting systems, I found the one in this game to be reasonably straightforward. To make recipes, just select "hold" for multiple ingredients while highlighting them in the menu and then bring them over to a cooking pot whenever you find one. It's also important to keep your eye on the stamina meter (which can be increased later on) while climbing. When it rains, it's almost impossible to climb anything because it makes you keep slipping downwards (actually my biggest problem with the game).

Return to “Video Games General”