2017/4/15: Playstation 2: NHL Faceoff 2003, Sega Classics Collection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/4/15: Playstation 2: NHL Faceoff 2003, Sega Classics Collection

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2017, 12:19 pm

I think these new PS2 reviews turned out pretty well.

NHL Faceoff 2003 is brand new, and Sega Classics Collection is a re-review.

Thoughts?

CharlieR

Re: 2017/4/15: Playstation 2: NHL Faceoff 2003, Sega Classics Collection

Postby CharlieR » April 17th, 2017, 11:09 am

These are quality reviews. I'm always interested in these older hockey games; it's always cool to go back and play them, especially with only one option now from EA.

I had no real idea about SEGA classics collection, in that I didn't know they wre 3d verrsions of older games. Sounds like it might be worth checking out.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » April 17th, 2017, 8:05 pm

I'm glad you reviewed Sega Classics Collection. If you hadn't, I would have been under the impression that it was just another run-of-the-mill compilation. I'll have to track down a copy for myself.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 17th, 2017, 9:15 pm

I never heard of the Dreamcast roots of these, but you might not be too far off, Critic. I don't remember the details, but the original press release when Sega went multiplatform made everyone think that this budget line of remakes/ports would be Playstation 1 games. Whatever the story was, it seems quite plausible that they weren't originally slated for the PS2.

I wish they had done a slight bit of polish in Virtua Racing and Outrun. Fine games, but Outrun could've used an additional perspective choice since many thought that the camera was placed a bit too low (It never really bothered me though). And both had some pop-in despite their clean but primitive graphics by PS2 standards, that seems inexcusable given their modest technical demands.

CharlieR wrote:I had no real idea about SEGA classics collection, in that I didn't know they wre 3d verrsions of older games. Sounds like it might be worth checking out.

It has been a few years, but be sure to try out the arranged modes in Outrun if you do, Charlie.

It adds a lot of new courses along with a rival system that seemed pointless but didn't cause any harm. And it ends in one of my favorite Outrun tracks across any version, with one that seems to be based off the Overseas Highway in the Florida Keys.

For years I thought that would be the perfect inspiration for an Outrun course, and Sega must've agreed. That stage turned out well, albeit suffering perhaps the worst of them all due to the draw-in issue.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » April 18th, 2017, 11:10 am

Loved the NHL review.

Simply put, there are sports games for the PS2 from the likes of 989, Konami, Sega and Acclaim that you would do well to review, if even just for posterity. There are no NFL Gameday PS2 reviews yet, nor reviews of Konami's two basketball games or NFL football game for the console. Would also like to see a review of Microsoft's other two NBA games and their baseball game for the first X-Box. Lots of stuff out there to fill in the blanks.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 18th, 2017, 6:53 pm

twilight - thanks for the feedback! Glad somebody out there enjoys the sports game reviews.
I'm a big sports fan myself but I think a lot of my readers yawn when I review an old sports game.

jon

Postby jon » April 18th, 2017, 9:34 pm

I love the sports reviews too. And I really like Twilighthotel's insight. The first NHL Faceoff was a favorite of mine. It was one of the first games you could create your own player. I always like seeing old sports game reviews bc of all the old publishers.

Return to “Review Feedback”