RPGs for people who aren't fans of the genre?

General and high profile video game topics.
Gentlegamer

Re: RPGs for people who aren't fans of the genre?

Postby Gentlegamer » April 21st, 2017, 2:33 pm

Arnold wrote:Games with mixed styles:

2. Beyond Oasis (The Story of Thor: A Successor of The Light) (Action RPG / Sega Genesis, A+)
3. Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole (Action RPG/ Sega Genesis, A+)
4. Monster World IV (Action RPG / Sega Genesis, A+)
8. Soleil (Crusader of Centy) (Action RPG / Sega Genesis)
10. The Immortal (Dungeon-crawler /Action RPG / Sega Genesis)
11. Wonder Boy in Monster World (Action RPG / Sega Genesis and Sega Master System)
12. Wonder Boy III: The Dragons's Trap (Action RPG / Sega Master System)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Action RPG / Sega Master System)

None of the above are RPGs, they are adventure games.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 21st, 2017, 5:31 pm

scotland wrote:[H]ow about a Rogue-like? They have many RPG elements like levelling, loot, inventory management, and the general atmosphere, but are often short games, with a clear death at the end.

Consoles are not the usual home for these, but Fatal Labyrinth on the Genesis comes to mind.

That's why I suggested Tower of Doom, which is also a roguelike (and one heck of a game, IMHO).

I enjoyed Fatal Labyrinth but a lot of people don't seem to; maybe its (spiritual?) sibling Dragon Crystal for Master System/Game Gear would go over better?

scotland

Postby scotland » April 21st, 2017, 7:21 pm

goldenband wrote: That's why I suggested Tower of Doom, which is also a roguelike (and one heck of a game, IMHO).

I enjoyed Fatal Labyrinth but a lot of people don't seem to; maybe its (spiritual?) sibling Dragon Crystal for Master System/Game Gear would go over better?

Tower of Doom - that'll work! I'm not the biggest Inty fan, but the system is growing on me over time. I really like the AD&D / Cloudy Mountain game and I have toyed about with Tower of Doom. Graphically, its quite a game for the Intellivision. Looks like The Critic gave it a B+. I may have to go back and try it again this weekend.

The OP wasn't specific about why someone doesn't like RPGs, that's why I also brought up rogue-likes as an 'entry drug' to RPGs.

As for Dragon Crystal....I have never played it! Now I am going to have to go hunt down videos or something and check it out.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 21st, 2017, 8:26 pm

scotland wrote:Tower of Doom - that'll work! I'm not the biggest Inty fan, but the system is growing on me over time. I really like the AD&D / Cloudy Mountain game and I have toyed about with Tower of Doom. Graphically, its quite a game for the Intellivision. Looks like The Critic gave it a B+. I may have to go back and try it again this weekend.

Cloudy Mountain is great, though (as I'm sure you'll agree) it's not an RPG even if it's sometimes characterized as one. Wonderful game, though.

Tower of Doom is a true roguelike with a serious learning curve, but once you get on its wavelength, it's beyond anything else on consoles from its era. I first played it at a friend's house during the NES era, and was totally astonished at what I was seeing -- a true, computer-grade RPG, the kind I used to read about as a kid (but couldn't play since we couldn't afford a serious computer), on a console I had no idea could pull something like that off.

scotland wrote:The OP wasn't specific about why someone doesn't like RPGs, that's why I also brought up rogue-likes as an 'entry drug' to RPGs.

Oh, I completely agree -- I think roguelikes are a great idea for this, as they cut out all the emo, plot devices, etc. of JRPGs and strip the game down to its leanest essentials.

BTW if you haven't played Dungeons of Daggorath you really should check it out (a PC port is available so you don't need to deal with emulators). On a technical level, it's an absolutely incredible feat -- a real-time, wireframe, first-person 3D RPG from 1982, on a low-end computer without hardware sprite support or a soundchip. More to the point, it's one of the most terrifying, stressful, intense games I've ever played, and an absolute masterpiece.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » April 22nd, 2017, 8:32 pm

My wife has zero interest in RPG's but she is fond of superheroes which is how I got her into the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. True, she preferred the action elements over the leveling up and equipping elements, but I still count it even if it's an action RPG instead of your standard RPG!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 24th, 2017, 4:10 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:
ptdebate wrote:I'd actually recommend Persona 4 or Persona 5. They are social simulation games that gradually feed you RPG gameplay in manageable chunks.

But weebs are already fans of JRPGs.

Lol. Not necessarily--you'd be surprised. Excuse me while I get back to evangelizing for Persona games. As a fellow Demon's Souls devotee I'm sure you can understand.

Then allow me to offer Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as suggestions. Action RPGs that are mostly action games.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 24th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Then allow me to offer Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as suggestions. Action RPGs that are mostly action games.

Good suggestions. It baffles me how gamers who swear by Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden aren't huge Souls fans as well.

I think there are other ways to appeal to non-RPG fans than through action RPGs, though. Ultimately, it's the careful planning and thoughtful execution of a slower and more nuanced battle system that characterizes the genre. BioWare's games might actually be the best starting point for someone new to the genre because they're kind of like RPG-lite. They introduce mechanics like stat building, party interactions, and an emphasis on story while keeping the gameplay approachable. The latter Mass Effect games are almost tailor made for shooter fans.

Persona is kind of like anime Mass Effect. But you don't have to be a weeb to appreciate them. That's kind of like saying you have to be a comic book fan to appreciate the Marvel movies.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 25th, 2017, 9:20 am

High school student drama where you kill yourself to be possessed by demons vs. action movie with super heroes

The audience for Marvel films don't have body pillows of Black Widow, or She-Hulk, or whatever.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 25th, 2017, 10:45 am

Gentlegamer wrote:High school student drama where you kill yourself to be possessed by demons vs. action movie with super heroes

The audience for Marvel films don't have body pillows of Black Widow, or She-Hulk, or whatever.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same game series. You seem very serious about this though so I'll let the discussion end there ;).

David

Postby David » April 25th, 2017, 12:44 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:High school student drama where you kill yourself to be possessed by demons vs. action movie with super heroes

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same game series. You seem very serious about this though so I'll let the discussion end there ;).

I think he's referring to Persona 3 and the evokers. I don't know, I've never watched or been interested in anime, and wouldn't have known what a "weeb" was until I just googled it, but Persona has become my favorite series period, RPG or otherwise.

Return to “Video Games General”