Games The VGC rated too high

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Games The VGC rated too high

Postby CaptainCruch » April 21st, 2017, 7:46 am

So, we're always complaining about games the VGC rated too low, because we liked them so much... But, do you think there are also games the VGC rated too high? Here's some of mine:

Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) (B) - Besides the graphics (which are fantastic for a Wii game), I hate every part of this game. The music is horrible, the mission-based structure of the game is horrendous (as are the cutscenes) and, mostly, the controls are a nightmare. Really, I can used to Wii motion-controlled games, but I just can't manage it in this game. Really, really, bad, I would rate it F.

Star Wars Arcade (32X) (B) - The game has some charm, but I think it's way too hard. I can't image anyone ever being able to finish. D+.

Sonic Pinball Party (GBA) (D+) - This was game such a shabby experience I wouldn't even rate it D+. At last I got it for 'free' in a Sonic Advance Combo Pack. Rating: F.

mbd36

Re: Games The VGC rated too high

Postby mbd36 » April 22nd, 2017, 1:33 am

I've completed POW: Prisoners of War and I wouldn't rate it higher than average. The stages drag on for too long and the gameplay gets way too monotonous. It's no Double Dragon II. I would rate Bayou Billy higher than POW.

scotland

Re: Games The VGC rated too high

Postby scotland » April 22nd, 2017, 7:59 am

These two games from the 2nd generation come to mind. These are both acceptable games, but I wonder if they should be more C rated than A rated games.

Smithereens on the Odyssey 2 (A): I find its a dull repetitive game. Even in the relative paucity of the O2 library, its a C game. The entire gameplay is just holding back your catapult for a count and releasing it. Compare it to the Xonox Artillery Duel on the Atari 2600 (D). Artillery Duel has more variables, and is actually a challenge. Yes, its got issues, but the D of Artillery Duel is a more informative score than the A for Smithereens. Reader score is still an A-, but I'd rather play U.F.O.

Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack for the Intellivision (A): I like a fun poker and blackjack cart more than most, but given the depth of the Intellivision library, this launch title (and original pack-in) is a solid but not stellar game. However, the reader scores also give it an A, and I do see in on a 'Games that defined' list. I'd rather play Frog Bog.

Return to “Video Games General”