The last of us. ps3

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
BlasteroidAli

The last of us. ps3

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 26th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Wow the graphics are great. The intro level was so good. It felt like it might have been as good as left for dead. Then the good part of the game is over and it is 20 years later.

A poor man's tomb raider with a few zombies thrown in. Though you can see where they are coming from, from the makers of uncharted. So just imagine uncharted apocalypse with zombies.

The controls are abysmal. Run is right 2 This guy has survived in the wilderness for 20 years but fights like he is 90. You would think he would be physically fit after all the running he would need to do to survive. Not a bit of it. He crawls around like he is drunk as a skunk.
One shot and you are incapacitated. You antagonists are virtually supermen in comparison. Plus this is the last of us, why are there so many people around. Plus you cannot shake people who constantly follow you. So I have a rifle and I shoot this guy in the head. Does no damage. He shoots me with a pistol from the same range, hits me behind cover and takes away a lot of my health. Melee weapons make those of dead island .. dead rising seem indestructible.

You cannot run away from a fight you have to kill everyone. I must be playing this game wrong.

So I have this person who has to creep around slowly. Cannot shoot to save himself and fights like he is on his last legs. Not exactly the experience I was hoping for.

According to the critic this is an A game. For me it is a C game. Perhaps a D. So overrated you would not believe.

ptdebate

Re: The last of us. ps3

Postby ptdebate » April 26th, 2017, 2:27 pm

I actually felt the same way when I first played The Last of Us! I thought Tomb Raider 2013 was superior in every way.

Give the game time though. It's not a perfect experience, but try to accept it on its own terms. It's a long slog of a game but it's worth it if you make it through to the end of the story.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 26th, 2017, 3:35 pm

I loved the last of us. I have felt that Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider were just a poor man's uncharted. They're fun, but the story and acting are awful, so I always skip it. Basically they're the gameplay of Uncharted without a good story to go with it.

The Last of Us felt like something in between Uncharted and Resident Evil 4 in its gameplay, both of which I love. And the story and acting is the best in any video game ever made. The opening is great but there are plenty more moments like that. I would say it's in my top 5 all time.

I'm a bit confused that it seems like you're both complaining about it being a zombie game and complaining about fighting humans. As far as fighting humans, it's not a survival horror game. It's something more akin to 28 days later or the Walking Dead, but in game form. You know, the whole idea that in a zombie apocalypse the humans are just as dangerous as the zombies. The premise is trite, but the character building around it is great.

And what difficulty are you playing on? If it's too hard just play on easy. I played on normal and I died a decent amount but I rarely felt like it wasn't my fault. If you're already on the easiest I don't know what to tell you, but if not just switch to easy and make the game fun for yourself.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 28th, 2017, 8:48 am

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I persevered and it is now a lot better. Then problem I was having was with the controller. I could not work the buttons properly hence dying a lot. My gripes about the game are still there but they are the gripes I have with all games.
The graphics have been top notch throughout. Really this is what I wanted from the game. Plus as Es says the more you play the more you get sucked in.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 28th, 2017, 4:13 pm

I bought this, but forgot that my PS3 can't play games with certain kinds of graphics (this, Uncharted, Final Fantasy 13). Maybe I'll get the PS4 remaster someday.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 29th, 2017, 10:47 am

This is one of my favorite games of all time. The game play was ok but the characters... They were so good... I'm so glad a part 2 has been announced.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 30th, 2017, 9:13 am

Rev wrote:This is one of my favorite games of all time. The game play was ok but the characters... They were so good... I'm so glad a part 2 has been announced.

Yeah now I have to buy a PS4 before that releases. I'll want to play Uncharted 4 and God of War too, but the last of us 2 seals it.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 30th, 2017, 4:27 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I bought this, but forgot that my PS3 can't play games with certain kinds of graphics (this, Uncharted, Final Fantasy 13). Maybe I'll get the PS4 remaster someday.

Why cant it play those games?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 30th, 2017, 7:13 pm

No idea. Something wrong with the disc reader. It'll spin the disc around, make a clicking sound, and nothing will happen.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 1st, 2017, 9:27 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:No idea. Something wrong with the disc reader. It'll spin the disc around, make a clicking sound, and nothing will happen.

Having discussed this before, I think we reached the conclusion that DaHeckIzDat's Ps3 struggles with dual-layer discs for some reason.

Return to “Now Playing”