Microsoft: Netflix of video games?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Microsoft: Netflix of video games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I found this article amusing. Microsoft trying to be the Netflix of video games is right in line with their current strategy.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/17/04/ ... s#comments

I think some of the comments are dead on. Especially the one that states that when games were physical, they needed to be complete. Now that everyone is on-line, games tend to be half-finished with stuff held back, with gameplay geared toward nickeling and diming the player. I've been saying this for a while now.

In a way I hope Microsoft does pursue this course - it'll be on less console for me to worry about!

CptFalcon

Re: Microsoft: Netflix of video games?

Postby CptFalcon » April 30th, 2017, 11:11 am

Yeah I'm thru with Microsoft, period. I use Windows and Server/Office on my work laptop, but I don't like them at all. And it extends beyond games.

I did a test install of the new Creators Update, installed CCleaner, and counted how many included apps and advertisement tiles I had to remove to get somewhat 'clean' system. It ended up being upwards of SIXTY different things I had to remove, from Minecraft Windows 10 Edition ad tiles, to Facebook, to Twitter. It was unbelievable. And this wasn't even counting the two or three dozen settings you have to change to keep from getting half your info or advertising IDs, among other things transmitted to and from Microsoft.

I feel like an antiquated relic these days with the way things are. Products are services anymore, they're half-finished, and you're nothing more than an advertising ID number to be sold to - even if you already PURCHASED the damn product in the first place. The relentless selling, upsellling, and whale hunting for this unquenchable greed for shareholders is disgusting.

Return to “Video Games General”