2017/4/27: Lynx: Baseball Heroes, Ninja Gaiden III

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/4/27: Lynx: Baseball Heroes, Ninja Gaiden III

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Finally some new Lynx reviews! Let me know what you think!

And I expect to post the Lynx system review soon.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: 2017/4/27: Lynx: Baseball Heroes, Ninja Gaiden III

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 28th, 2017, 8:21 am

Only on the Lynx could a mutilated NES port - the worst of the trilogy - stand head and shoulders above the competition. And then the baseball review...just ouch. No wonder why the Gameboy won. It may have a ridiculous amount of shovelware, but the best of portable gaming was all happening far away from the most powerful of the portable machines.

Edit: Second most powerful? I'm not sure how to directly compare this and the TurboExpress. Their priorities are worlds apart. Time to hit Google.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » April 28th, 2017, 8:58 am

Good reviews, but----how did a massively pixelated port with awful music and mushy controls get a better review than the NES original which, if I recall correctly, scored a C-? Shouldn't the better version get the better review?

scotland

Postby scotland » April 28th, 2017, 9:58 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Time to hit Google.

Its a neat read to learn this was developed by ex Amiga people for Epyx, who shopped it around for investors. Sega could have run with it, or maybe Mattel if they wanted back in a game they knew well.

So much good stuff in the Lynx. Victory is not always to the swift or strongest, I guess.

Baseball Heroes looks amazing! Sorry it gets an F as had I been in a KB Toys in 1991 looking for a Lynx game, that screenshot would have sucked me in.

As for NGIII getting a B, I think its a B relative to Lynx games, where the NES original getting a C is from having to compete with the NES library.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 28th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Also, does the Lynx version have limited continues like the NES version? If not, and they're unlimited, then it would remove one of the biggest annoyances of NG3 on the NES, thus helping to justify a higher grade.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » April 28th, 2017, 2:26 pm

scotland wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Time to hit Google.

Its a neat read to learn this was developed by ex Amiga people for Epyx, who shopped it around for investors. Sega could have run with it, or maybe Mattel if they wanted back in a game they knew well.

So much good stuff in the Lynx. Victory is not always to the swift or strongest, I guess.

Baseball Heroes looks amazing! Sorry it gets an F as had I been in a KB Toys in 1991 looking for a Lynx game, that screenshot would have sucked me in.

As for NGIII getting a B, I think its a B relative to Lynx games, where the NES original getting a C is from having to compete with the NES library.

The only thing that the Critic complains about with regards to Ninja Gaiden III is the difficulty. I don't think that being challenging warrants a such a low grade. He gave higher grades to much harder games such as Ghosts n Goblins and Battletoads. He should give the NES version another shot and try to get further into it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2017, 6:36 pm

As Scotland mentioned, the grades are relative to the library. So while NG3 is one of my favorite Lynx titles, it's not one of my favorite NES games.

That said, I think the original Ninja Gaiden NES titles deserve to be re-looked at after all these years. Stay tuned.

Return to “Review Feedback”