Nintendo 2ds xl

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Nintendo 2ds xl

Postby CharlieR » April 28th, 2017, 8:36 am

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-th ... 1794727565

This is not in response to our April fools day prank thread... this is real. I Thought this was fake at first, but I also thought the 2ds was fake at first. Wasn't the whole point of the 2ds (besides removing 3d) to take away the hinge so it's easier for kids? now they add the hinge? Maybe they thought the 2ds was a success, so they are releasing a hinged version of the 2d system.

In regards to the NES classic, they discontinue a hot-selling product to produce a redesign of a 6-year old handheld? Plus, from what I gather, it's just a cheaper version of the new 3ds without 3d. Weird for them to release a new redesign this late in the lifespan, especially since there hasn't been a big name release for the system in a while. There are two games in the trailer - Miitopia and Hey pikmin! - so maybe they figured to release a redesign to go with it!

Can't wait to hear what you guys think.

Rookie1

Re: Nintendo 2ds xl

Postby Rookie1 » April 28th, 2017, 11:04 am

I might pick that up. I have been wanting to play Link Between Worlds and the other DS Zelda titles, but I dont do 3D and the 2DS looked lame. This is cool though. I wonder if it will be the same price as the 2DS?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » April 28th, 2017, 12:47 pm

sounds like you are the target audience then. Seems like it's for people that like the idea of the 2ds, but don't like the design of the system. It's $150.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 28th, 2017, 4:31 pm

I will consider getting a New Nintendo 2DS XL to replace my New Nintendo 3DS XL because I do not really use the 3D on that system as it hurts my eyes/drains battery/frame rate performance.

But before I consider it I want to know the following?

Is the battery life better then the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Is the system Matte Finish.

How durable it is.

How good the picture/screen quality is.

How good is the audio quality/speakers.

Is it easier to take out the Micro SD card, because I hated that in the New Nintendo 3DS XL in regards to taking in and out the Micro SD card.

I have till fall 2017 to make that decision based on feedback by critics/users.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 28th, 2017, 4:43 pm

CharlieR wrote:sounds like you are the target audience then. Seems like it's for people that like the idea of the 2ds, but don't like the design of the system. It's $150.

Ouch, I will probably just pick up a used 2Ds. Dont want to play the games that bad.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 28th, 2017, 5:56 pm

I think it's a bit overpriced. $79 for an old 2DS with Mario Kart 7 is still a better deal. Though, I like the design of it and I think it looks more comfortable to hold than the new 3DS XL. It should really be priced no higher than $129. A pack-in game wouldn't hurt either.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 28th, 2017, 6:40 pm

MoarRipter wrote:I think it's a bit overpriced. $79 for an old 2DS with Mario Kart 7 is still a better deal. Though, I like the design of it and I think it looks more comfortable to hold than the new 3DS XL. It should really be priced no higher than $129. A pack-in game wouldn't hurt either.

This is what caught me too - being twice the price of the older model. You can stroll into Walmart and get a new (but not "New") 2DS with Mario Kart 7 installed for half the price of this. Yes, the lack of clamshell did reduce the cost, and yes, I find its less portable than a clamshell, but its still a rugged little thing without the hinges, and its not bad to hold and play. Also, the components inside have gotten cheaper. Thats one of the old tricks - now you are selling 6+ year old tech at the same price, but to jack it up to twice, and no pack in - not even a download code.

Frankly, everything with Nintendo seems to be far too expensive.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 5th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Nintendo has lost their minds. Cray Cray!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 6th, 2017, 12:20 am

I was hoping maybe they'd permanently reduce the price of the new 3ds at some point. It looks like that won't be happening now. Dang

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 6th, 2017, 1:07 am

I wish they'd stop with the constant revisions of their hardware and start refocusing on releasing games for the friggin' thing!

Honestly, at this point, I'd be happy if they put all of their handheld efforts into reviving the 3DS Virtual Console! Come on, they're still releasing VC titles for the Wii U, and yet they've killed support for the 3DS twice!

Return to “Video Games General”