Turbografx toys and mods

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Turbografx toys and mods

Postby scotland » September 17th, 2016, 6:46 am

I have been toying with the idea of toying with my turbografx. Adding in a region mod, for instance.

Came across this mod-less way to get better video and audio out of it.

http://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/

It gives you SCART, composite, S video or AV out.

The company has a few other items, like a Sega Power Base Converter with FM audio, which would be a nice way to have a Master System on a Genesis or Retron 5. I have never dealt with this company, but I am uncomfortable with shipping off my TG16 for a mod. For $65, its tempting (plus I would have to build a case). Maybe I just need a reputable modder.

scotland

Re: Turbografx toys and mods

Postby scotland » April 29th, 2017, 1:26 pm

So I did buy a plug on a/v mod like the one above for my my TG-16, and I liked the results.

Here is another Turbografx hobbyist project.

https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/the-pc-engine-sd/

A hobbyist in the UK made the 'PC Engine SD'. He too took an original motherboard (so its not emulation, its the real hardware), repacked it into an Amstrad case, added in an Evercart front end to load games from an SD cart, and better a/v than the original.

Maybe this is not your thing, but I like hobbyists trying new things, building new stuff.

gametime

Postby gametime » May 24th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Plug on a/v mod looks well worth it.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 24th, 2017, 8:33 pm

gametime wrote:Plug on a/v mod looks well worth it.

I have not had any complaints with it so far. The only issue was initially getting it on the pinouts, but once on, I never expect to take it off again. You only need to access a few pins, but instead of the two small pin connectors like on the one above, its a solid connection to the entire pinout. It makes for a stronger fit, but the alignment is harder. Its also just composite video and stereo audio, not anything fancier. You also lose the exterior plastic casing unless you want to dremel out a window, but I didn't bother.

gametime

Postby gametime » May 29th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of the exterior case. So many times sellers part out things like the exterior plastic casing or sell the TG-16 system without one which would work good for just leaving it attached without a case cover. Can't blame you for leaving it attached once seated.

I have two TurboGrafx-16 systems. One was bought new back in 1991, the other for parts a few years ago, which was funny the seller said it was untested. It worked fine. No games but it came with 2 turbo pads and the 5-player adaptor.

That five player adaptor was a neat idea but only ever had Football back in the day. Usually only three of us guys ever got together to play. Wish I had bought Battle Royal back then it would have been a fun five player game as well.

Did not mean to ramble. Nice talking about the TG-16.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 29th, 2017, 8:49 pm

gametime wrote: Nice talking about the TG-16.

I enjoy talking the TG-16. I only have the unmodded region pinned TG-16, so I've never played any of the CD games or Japanese hucards. For me, its truly a retro system in that I never played one until it was a good 10 years dead and gone from retail. I too bought one 'untested' for $10, which after a cleaning, has worked well ever since. I found this site researching what games to buy for it, since I didn't know Neutopia from Ninja Spirit, and the hucards seemed relatively pricey.

I probably don't appreciate the system like those who have a Turbo Duo or one that's been region modded to play Japanese hu-cards, but its been a worthwhile investment for me to enjoy for fun. The system is known for its schmups of course, but games like the aforementioned Ninja Spirit, Bonk, and Splatterhouse are reasons for me to hook it up. I was playing some Keith Courage the other week, and thought it was better than the D- the Critic gave it.

gametime

Postby gametime » May 30th, 2017, 10:37 am

Always wanted the Turbo Booster add-on. Price has always been a factor and seeing the plug on a/v mod really caught my interest.

Been happy with a plain TurboGrafx-16. It would nice to own a CD attachment or a Turbo Duo. I have played some CD games with an emulator. Most are decent titles but compared to the Sega CD or 3DO the library seems to small to justify an upgrade purchase.

I do not dedicate to any one console maker or computer line, just spread my time to all of them. It does limit what I can play but more games can be experienced.

Great investment for $10. Never tried Ninja Spirit will have to check it out. Lot of hidden gems for the system.

Have to laugh about Keith Courage. Just out of high school when the 16-bit wars were in full swing. Working a full time job and over the course of a year, I was able to buy the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and TurboGrafx-16 when the systems were new. Altered Beast pack-in for the Genesis, Super Mario World for the SNES and Keith Courage for the TG-16. Each game by itself would justify the purchase of the system. Altered Beast showed the Genesis was a true arcade at home, Super Mario World was the start of amazing things to come from Nintendo and Keith Courage just did not represent what the Turbo was capable of performing. Explains why going to a big box store in the early 1990's a person could see salesman trying hard to sell the TurboGrafx-16. Still remember the new TG-16 system boxes stacked up at some stores and no one buying. If only I had the money then.

Return to “Classic Gaming”