Play while drinking icon

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Play while drinking icon

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2017, 4:18 pm

I'd like to bounce a new icon idea off you guys.

I've been reviewing 1-2 Switch and while it's not much of a game, I do thing it may be of value at a party, especially one where people are drinking a LOT.

I thought it might be funny to have an icon "play while drinking" or something like that. It's kind of the opposite of most alcohol warnings. Can you think of games this might apply to? What would the icon look like?

We try not to take ourselves too seriously around here!

Stalvern

Re: Play while drinking icon

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Well, the homebrew icon is already a beer... maybe a "drunk" smiley of some sort? Or change the homebrew one to a barrel?

The most obvious examples I can think of are Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Kart 64's battle mode.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 30th, 2017, 2:43 am

I think the Mario Party games would qualify. Potentially the Worms games, too.

CptFalcon

Postby CptFalcon » April 30th, 2017, 11:44 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'd like to bounce a new icon idea off you guys.

I've been reviewing 1-2 Switch and while it's not much of a game, I do thing it may be of value at a party, especially one where people are drinking a LOT.

I thought it might be funny to have an icon "play while drinking" or something like that. It's kind of the opposite of most alcohol warnings. Can you think of games this might apply to? What would the icon look like?

We try not to take ourselves too seriously around here!

GOG actually has Mix lists people make, and there's one called "Best played with mouse in one hand, beer in the other" and is one of the most popular ones:

https://www.gog.com/mix/best_played_wit ... _the_other

I'm not sure what inspiration you can get from it since I think most aren't on console, or completely different, but the idea is the same. From my experience back in the day, we would play some old school Tecmo Super Bowl, RBI Baseball, and NHL '94. Any one on one vs. type games with simple arcade style controls is pretty awesome.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 30th, 2017, 4:09 pm

NBA Hangtime. The 4-5 second intermissions between quarters are perfect for taking a swig of one's beer.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 30th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Looking at the GoG article I really think they missed the boat. Most of those games listed are very cerebral. That's not the kind of game I want to play if I've been drinking!

Sucks that the beer icon is already taken, but I can't think of a better symbol for a homebrew. Maybe we can use a whiskey bottle? Or a bottle in a bag? How about a 6-pack?

We could also take this to the next level and have a marijuana leaf for games "best played while high". Not that I'm condoning that kind of thing, but I think we can all come up with a few candidates!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 30th, 2017, 7:35 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Looking at the GoG article I really think they missed the boat. Most of those games listed are very cerebral. That's not the kind of game I want to play if I've been drinking!

Sucks that the beer icon is already taken, but I can't think of a better symbol for a homebrew. Maybe we can use a whiskey bottle? Or a bottle in a bag? How about a 6-pack?

My drink of choice is Jim Beam, so something indicating bourbon would work.

Or a Crown Royal bag for instant recognition (also iconic to D&D nerds as the standard dice bag).

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » April 30th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Maybe a cocktail glass...
Attachments
cocktail.png
cocktail.png (6.36 KiB) Viewed 2346 times

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 30th, 2017, 9:08 pm

I suggest adding Bomberman to the list. My buddy and I play it as a drinking game.

You die, take a sip. You don't win the match, take a sip. We normally do a few best of 7 round matches. Good times!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 1st, 2017, 12:36 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Looking at the GoG article I really think they missed the boat. Most of those games listed are very cerebral. That's not the kind of game I want to play if I've been drinking!

We could also take this to the next level and have a marijuana leaf for games "best played while high". Not that I'm condoning that kind of thing, but I think we can all come up with a few candidates!

Um for that icon, Rez. Not for that icon, Batman Arkham Asylum (takes hours just to find a door).

Return to “Video Games General”