New Super Nintendo Game Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
nesfan

New Super Nintendo Game Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter

Postby nesfan » April 30th, 2017, 5:04 am

I was browsing Amazon the other day and found this game, Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter in the "recommended for you" section. I thought the box art looked a little off. Like it didn't look like a real SNES game. So I googled it just to figure out what the heck this game is. Well apparently, it's a new upcoming fighting game for SNES. But it's not just any homebrew made by some amateurs. It's being made by some industry veterans. They're ex-SNK employees who had previously worked on The King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown series. When I read all that, I rushed right back over to Amazon and preordered it because everything I read about it was just awesome. I figured you guys here might want to check it out too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3 ... UTF8&psc=1

I never thought I'd see a preorder for a homebrew game on a mainstream site like Amazon. What a world...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: New Super Nintendo Game Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 30th, 2017, 9:27 am

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! I definitely plan to preorder this!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 2nd, 2017, 8:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCjCqmtTS0

"Sorry guys, but the lawyers say need to reskin 'Darkstalkers vs. Guilty Gear'."

It looks like they also took inspiration from Takara's port of Samurai Shodown. Seems playable enough, thankfully, but you'd hope they could fit a little more into 32megs. Where did it all go? It's not in the music.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 2nd, 2017, 8:27 am

Honestly I hope that isn't a current build for the game and that it has advanced a lot since then. The graphics were pretty basic and everything seemed a bit laggy. The gameplay looked like it was taken right out of the SNK games that they have worked on so that's cool. I'm interested to see how that turns out. It's possible there are better looking stages but that video has me a bit worried for the project.

strat

Postby strat » May 2nd, 2017, 9:59 am

This game looks like it's trying to break out of the SNES while the original SFII completely fit there.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 2nd, 2017, 12:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Ne8pOXfSo

I found a newer build. Love the first background, and it looks like there's less lag. The sprites are still "good pirate hack" worthy. And I really hope that's not the final soundtrack.

Return to “Classic Gaming”