Nintendo's Switch Marketing

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven

Nintendo's Switch Marketing

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 1st, 2017, 11:26 pm

So after the successful "Wii want to play" ads from the Wii days, Nintendo never really found a way to market the Wii U. For many average consumers it was probably like Nintendo went out of business. Well, it seems with the Switch they're going all out with the marketing. First they spent big bucks on a Super Bowl Ad. Then they did some PR stuff with Jimmy Fallon to get the hype machine going. More recently the've decked out Target's in Mario Kart themed stuff. Finally, they're doing a Happy Meal cross promotion with McDonald's. It's almost like they want people to remember they exist or something lol. Personally I really like the Target campaign. It's silly and a fun way to get people engaged/talking about the company.

The McDonald's Happy Meal thing I planned to stay away from. I'm a grown man. I can't be ordering Happy Meals just to acquire Nintendo figures. Or could I? If you're curious I go over this exact ridiculous predicament as I recap my Happy Meal Adventures over at my website. It's completely absurd.

https://wolfmanslounge.com/2017/05/01/n ... dventures/

How bout any of you? You planning on hitting up some McDonald's for kid's toys? Or what do you think of their recent marketing efforts in general. I mean anything is better than what was going on with the Wii U right?

Rookie1

Re: Nintendo's Switch Marketing

Postby Rookie1 » May 2nd, 2017, 9:02 am

I got my son a happy meal the other day. came with the yoshi toy. waiting until he was board with it and now its mine! I also have the happy meal box, bag the toy came in, and the mario themed apple bag in my room as well. Just go for it man!

Tron

Postby Tron » May 2nd, 2017, 8:25 pm

I agree. Excellent marketing campaign. Too bad they don't have the games that a new system needs. As far as the toys I'm going to pass, but 10 years ago I would've bought them.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 2nd, 2017, 9:59 pm

That was pretty funny.

Now...I want a happy meal of my own.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » May 3rd, 2017, 6:28 am

Tron wrote:I agree. Excellent marketing campaign. Too bad they don't have the games that a new system needs.

I found that funny when I saw the toys. Why use mario to advertise it when there is no mario game? lol good ol' N.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 3rd, 2017, 7:04 pm

Rookie1 wrote:
Tron wrote:I agree. Excellent marketing campaign. Too bad they don't have the games that a new system needs.

I found that funny when I saw the toys. Why use mario to advertise it when there is no mario game? lol good ol' N.

Excellent point. Big partnership with McDonalds & all they got to offer is Mario. These toys look like they're for the SNES in 1991. I would at least expect a New Mario for the Switch and when I say 'New' all they really need is a new Mario outfit and some Mario levels they can take from Mario Maker and some flashy updated graphics.

So my wife didn't make dinner. Fast food it is. Kids want McDonalds. Yuck, but ok. Get in drive thru. See Happy Meal Nintendo toys. Sweet, might as well get a Happy Meal. Get the Happy Meal. Drive off and no toy in the Happy Meal box. They must've got my order wrong and gave me the Sad Meal. Wife offered to turn back. Aww forget it.

Return to “Video Games General”