Favorite old websites?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
User avatar
astrodomekid
Posts: 73
Joined: September 10th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Favorite old websites?

Postby astrodomekid » May 3rd, 2017, 11:31 pm

Following on the "Old Web Sites" thread, I'd like to know which older websites from the 90's/early 2000's intrigued you the most. It doesn't have to be video game-related, just as long as it's an old site that may or may not still be active, or an older version of a website that has been updated since.

As a person who has an interest in MLB ballparks, I find "Stadium Mouse" to be a fascinating time capsule of late 90's/early 2000's internet. What draws me to this website so much since the past 12 years is "The Great American Baseball Trip" where back in the summer of 1997 (the same year my little sister was born), the creator visited every ballpark active at the time and wrote deeply detailed reviews of them. My only personal problem with it is that his review of the Astrodome - my favorite place in the whole world (hence my username) - wasn't very positive. I'm fine with him having an opinion, of course. But as the first domed stadium ever built, it invented several innovations still in use by ballparks today (i.e. luxury boxes, animated scoreboard, etc.). Sure it might have been a bad idea in the eyes of purists, but in the hearts of Houstonians like myself it will last forever.

If you have the same interest in where the Major League teams play like I do, you'll definitely enjoy this website. I know the Critic would appreciate their 5-star review of Camden Yards. ;)

http://www.stadiummouse.com/

pacman000
Posts: 368
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: Favorite old websites?

Postby pacman000 » May 4th, 2017, 2:16 pm

I could go on and on and on about this. ;)

Sites I used "back in the day" include this site, AtariAge, epguides, smbhq, TVTome, themushroomkingdom, badmovies.org, StompTokoyo, ColdFusionVideoReviews, Classic Gaming.com's Pac-Man Fan page, GameSpy, TSR's Nes Archive, NesWorld, and...wow, see? There's too many to list.

Recently I fell in love with DMOZ. I even volunteered to edit a few small categories. I was approved, but AOL shut down DMOZ about a month after I started to edit. I wrote about it here: https://websitering.neocities.org/DMOZMemory.htm
If that seems too much like self promotion, forgive me; I just have a lot thoughts about the subject, and most of it's already written there. You don't want me to copy and paste 1800+ words to your forum, do you? :cry:

astrodomekid wrote:My only personal problem with it is that his review of the Astrodome - my favorite place in the whole world (hence my username) - wasn't very positive. I'm fine with him having an opinion, of course. But as the first domed stadium ever built, it invented several innovations still in use by ballparks today (i.e. luxury boxes, animated scoreboard, etc.). Sure it might have been a bad idea in the eyes of purists, but in the hearts of Houstonians like myself it will last forever.
Not a major sports fan, but the Astrodome is really cool. Didn't they declare it a landmark recently? Lets hope they can get it to pass current fire codes and reopen it to the public. :)

LoganRuckman
Posts: 198
Joined: April 10th, 2015, 1:04 am

Re: Favorite old websites?

Postby LoganRuckman » May 4th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Odysee Of Hyrule, Zelda's Secret Ocarina, and Beyond 120 Stars were great.

pacman000
Posts: 368
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: Favorite old websites?

Postby pacman000 » May 18th, 2017, 1:31 pm

And now ScrubTheWeb, a 20+ year old search engine I enjoyed has decided to call it quits. :(

pacman000
Posts: 368
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: Favorite old websites?

Postby pacman000 » June 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm

pacman000 wrote:And now ScrubTheWeb, a 20+ year old search engine I enjoyed has decided to call it quits. :(

They went off line sometime last night. I wrote an article about them a bit before they closed. If it's ok I'd like to share a link here: https://websitering.neocities.org/ScrubTheWebIsGone.htm

Contains their information on their closure, my experiences using the engine, the engine's history, and an opinion on PageRank-style algorithms.

pacman000
Posts: 368
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: Favorite old websites?

Postby pacman000 » November 14th, 2017, 4:23 pm

pacman000 wrote:I could go on and on and on about this. ;)

Sites I used "back in the day" include this site, AtariAge, epguides, smbhq, TVTome, themushroomkingdom, badmovies.org, StompTokoyo, ColdFusionVideoReviews, Classic Gaming.com's Pac-Man Fan page, GameSpy, TSR's Nes Archive, NesWorld, and...wow, see? There's too many to list.

Recently I fell in love with DMOZ. I even volunteered to edit a few small categories. I was approved, but AOL shut down DMOZ about a month after I started to edit. I wrote about it here: https://websitering.neocities.org/DMOZMemory.htm
If that seems too much like self promotion, forgive me; I just have a lot thoughts about the subject, and most of it's already written there. You don't want me to copy and paste 1800+ words to your forum, do you? :cry:

astrodomekid wrote:My only personal problem with it is that his review of the Astrodome - my favorite place in the whole world (hence my username) - wasn't very positive. I'm fine with him having an opinion, of course. But as the first domed stadium ever built, it invented several innovations still in use by ballparks today (i.e. luxury boxes, animated scoreboard, etc.). Sure it might have been a bad idea in the eyes of purists, but in the hearts of Houstonians like myself it will last forever.
Not a major sports fan, but the Astrodome is really cool. Didn't they declare it a landmark recently? Lets hope they can get it to pass current fire codes and reopen it to the public. :)


Alright, for the past few months some of DMOZ's old editors have been trying to re-launch the project under a new name. Looks like it's finally up: http://curlie.org/ :D


Return to “Other Media”