Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition announced and has been bumped down from its original M rating to a Teen Rating!

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition announced and has been bumped down from its original M rating to a Teen Rating!

Postby Sonicx9 » April 25th, 2017, 3:24 pm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAoCOXBE0yY

This is a real deal breaker considering the game was very controversial in its time/helped create the ESRB along with the Mortal Kombat series/Doom, and the like, etc. And the difference between a T rating compared to an M ratings is also a big deal as well!

Lets compare the original releases ESRB listings/box back!:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.as ... Night+Trap (Note: this is the censored Sega CD ESRB re-release version compared to the original uncensored Sega CD version that had no age rating).

Sega 32X CD: https://gamefaqs.akamaized.net/box/0/8/8/45088_back.jpg which is also rated M with the same content descriptors uncensored.)

But in the remastered version it has Blood, Suggestive Themes and Violence as its new content descriptors for the new remastered edition.

But then again, this is not the first time we have seen the ESRB give less harsher, and sometimes more harsher age ratings in older games getting re-released, such as many higher level E rated games and lower level T rated games becoming E10+ because the E10+ rating was not a thing back in the day. Because even non-E10+ examples also happen such as the Zone of the Enders series being M rated save for the GBA game which was regular E being the tamest in the series, but the later HD remasterd versions on PS3/Xbox 360 via digital where rated T/minus the retail version because of the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Demo.: https://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.asp ... e%20Enders The SNES cult classic EarthBound being changed from regular E to T with the same censorship as the older release save for the exclusive edit of flashing lights to avoid seziers because of the Pokemon Anime episode contrversy.http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx ... EarthBound and https://tcrf.net/EarthBound#Virtual_Console_Changes, and Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy having its original uncensored version of AO being changed to regular M for the Remasterd edition on Steam.: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx ... 20Prophecy

Thoughts on this change!

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition announced and has been bumped down from its original M rating to a Teen Rating!

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 26th, 2017, 9:01 am

Ha! Yeah it's pretty funny how this game, which used to be a lightning rod for controversy, is now seen as this tame, silly, footnote in gaming!

I'm just thrilled it's getting a physical release. I will 100% be buying one of those limited copies!

Rev

Re: Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition announced and has been bumped down from its original M rating to a Teen Rating!

Postby Rev » April 26th, 2017, 7:22 pm

This is awesome! Totally picking it up.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 27th, 2017, 6:35 am

I hope it comes to PC. Dont really have any plans on picking up a PS4

Tron

Postby Tron » May 2nd, 2017, 8:37 pm

I see a similarity in this analogy with movies as well. Seems like some 70's & 80's movies that were PG-13 would be R nowadays. Remember the obligatory naked boobs scenes in so many 80's movies? I have a feeling nowadays that would be borderline X rating. Honestly I watch so few new movies nowadays that I may be way off base so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'm a bit out of touch with 2017. Is this were I apologize in case I offended someone?

Anyway back on topic I never played this game, but since I'm a Dana Plato fan I gotta buy it and finally check it out.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » May 6th, 2017, 9:59 am

Tron wrote:I see a similarity in this analogy with movies as well. Seems like some 70's & 80's movies that were PG-13 would be R nowadays. Remember the obligatory naked boobs scenes in so many 80's movies? I have a feeling nowadays that would be borderline X rating. Honestly I watch so few new movies nowadays that I may be way off base so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'm a bit out of touch with 2017. Is this were I apologize in case I offended someone?

Anyway back on topic I never played this game, but since I'm a Dana Plato fan I gotta buy it and finally check it out.

I was thinking they didn't even have the rating PG-13 back in the 70s. That was before my time so I could be wrong on that. I swear I've seen PG movies from that decade with brief nudity though.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » May 6th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Luigi You are right. The PG-13 rating came out in 1984 for films that weren't quite R but more than a PG. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom was originally slapped with an R because of the pulling out the heart scene. Spielberg appealed and the MPAA decided they needed one more rating. Hence PG-13. I believe Indy and Red Dawn (both 1984) were the first films to get the new rating.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 6th, 2017, 2:08 pm

matmico399 wrote:Luigi You are right. The PG-13 rating came out in 1984 for films that weren't quite R but more than a PG. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom was originally slapped with an R because of the pulling out the heart scene. Spielberg appealed and the MPAA decided they needed one more rating. Hence PG-13. I believe Indy and Red Dawn (both 1984) were the first films to get the new rating.

This is also similar to how the ESRB E10+ rating came to be because games that where regular E such as the first Kingdom Hearts despite it content on violence/dark themes being too much for a standard E rating, but not enough to be T rated, and games like the Ratchet & Clank series being T rated despite it being far too tame and lighthearted for that age rating and the game being more ideal for younger family friendly audience. Because when the PS3 HD remastered version came out, the first Kingdom Hearts game via the 1.5 HD Remix version along with the Ratchet & Clank HD collection where both given a more desirable E10+ rating thanks to the brand new age rating created in 2005.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 6th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Tron: breasts alone are a PG-13. See: Titanic, Hackers, and Across the Universe. There are R rated movies that show full frontal. There isn't an X-rating anymore. The closest is NC-17, but most movies prefer to target the home market with an "Unrated Director's Cut". These days, NC-17 usually means "Softcore sex, but heavy on the psychological scars."

Return to “Video Games General”