Themes you never see in games

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Themes you never see in games

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 8th, 2017, 7:16 pm

I saw Scotland's thread about genres you never see anymore and was about to comment that you hardly ever see cowboy games anymore. But then I realized that's more of a theme than a genre of game, so I figured, why not start a new discussion about themes you never see in video games?

So yeah, cowboys. You never see cowboy games anymore. You pretty much have Red Dead Redemption, and nothing else. They're making RDR 2, though, so maybe that'll spur (bahahaha) more people into making cowboy themed games.

Also, cavemen. I think it'd be cool to see some caveman themed games coming out on the current consoles. The only recent example I can think of is Far Cry: Primal, and from what I hear that didn't exactly get stellar ratings.

What about you guys?

BlasteroidAli

Re: Themes you never see in games

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 9th, 2017, 6:28 am

Far cry primal is a fantastic game.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 9th, 2017, 8:49 am

Not sure if this fits, but where are things like sewer exploration. From Mario Bros to TMNT to Sewer Shark, sewers used to be a setting for good family friendly fun. Is that still a thing?

There are also the decline (and I may be wrong here) in rescuing the princess or the presidents daughter plots. Given the fame of our current Presidents daughter, its ready for a come back. (I hope I don't get a visit from chaps with badges typing that)

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » May 9th, 2017, 12:34 pm

there were neat sewer levels in crash bandicoot 2, but I agree that there aren't a lot anymore.

Another one is Tropical. The first Uncharted game took place in a jungle mostly. You don't see settings like this a lot in games.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 10th, 2017, 9:19 am

Arabian Nights games.

There was Prince of Persia, Magic carpet, an Amiga game, a few levels in Crash Bandicoot: Warped, and maybe a PS2 game. Have there been any more? I'd like to see a Sinbad game with Harryhausen style monsters.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 10th, 2017, 12:06 pm

pacman000 wrote:Arabian Nights games.

There was Prince of Persia, Magic carpet, an Amiga game, a few levels in Crash Bandicoot: Warped, and maybe a PS2 game. Have there been any more? I'd like to see a Sinbad game with Harryhausen style monsters.

Good point. I think there was Defenders of the Oasis and more. Love the Harryhausen look idea.

Return to “Video Games General”