2017/5/14: Sega 32X: Afterburner

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/5/14: Sega 32X: Afterburner

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Been playing this lately so decided to revise the review. Raised the grade from C to B. Comments?

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2017/5/14: Sega 32X: Afterburner

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 15th, 2017, 7:58 am

Afterburner is a great game. I never got the 32x one as i never got a 32x. It had an extremely limited run over in the Uk and very few games were made available. I think this was one of them but by that time I think I was play the SNES so I never got this. I did buy it on Sega Saturn. I is good on the SS but has clipping issues.

After reading this I do wish I had at least played the 32x game.

djc

Postby djc » May 19th, 2017, 12:09 am

One of my absolute favorite games and the 32x version is pretty much arcade perfect. You should check out the PC-Engine version as well (Afterburner II). It is equally good and shows off the capabilities of the system nicely.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 19th, 2017, 10:02 am

djc wrote:One of my absolute favorite games and the 32x version is pretty much arcade perfect.

You can even set it to arcade mode, which changes "Press Start!" to "Insert Coin!". I think Sega thought of everything with this one.

There is one downgrade, and that's the smooth 30 fps rather than the arcade's 60.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 22nd, 2017, 7:22 pm

Ok, that's it.. I've had Afterburner for 32X on my Amazon wishlist for over 6 years and your review finally got me to fork over the $25. The comments above helped too.

I've played Afterburner briefly in the arcades, but somehow I've never had a chance to really experience this game. Thanks for finally getting me to do it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 28th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Update on the above post... So I got Afterburner for 32X in the mail this past week. Tried it on normal difficulty first and wasn't getting too far. So eventually I stuck the game on "super easy" and progressed through the 20+ stages over the course of an hour or so, using continues were needed. (Yeah, no patience from me these days...not enough time to spend "mastering" old games.) The continue system helps keep the challenge going though, because you can't just pick up right where you died... Instead, there are checkpoints ever few stages, so you might get knocked back a few levels to the last checkpoint when you use a continue.

Anyway... I had some fun with the game and was glad I finally experienced it. I think anything from a B to C is a fair grade for it, which matches up with the Critic's grades. At $25-$30 for a loose copy, it could be tough to justify for gamers, unless you have strong nostalgia from playing it back in the day. Since I don't have that nostalgia, it's probably just a one-time playthrough for me.

While playing this in my gameroom, I looked over at my Master System games and realized I already owned Afterburner...I was kicking myself, until I looked up the Critic's review and saw he gave the Master System version an F. So at least I judged the game off the right version.

djc

Postby djc » May 28th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Retro STrife wrote:While playing this in my gameroom, I looked over at my Master System games and realized I already owned Afterburner...I was kicking myself, until I looked up the Critic's review and saw he gave the Master System version an F. So at least I judged the game off the right version.

An 'F' for the Master System version is a little harsh. Sure it has a poor framerate and it is less technically proficient but it was a relatively decent port given the hardware. Of course, having nostalgia for the game helps appreciate it more. There is a continue system in the MS version as well which helps with making some progress.

gametime

Postby gametime » May 29th, 2017, 10:32 am

I have After Burner for the Sega Master, Nes, 32X and After Burner II for the Genesis. The 32X is my favorite.

I used to add games to my collection for the sake of adding games to my collection. Then stumbled across this site. The Video Game Critic acquires a game and does the research. Then I find the best version and sit back to play.

Makes me feel like a pimp to the Video Game Critic. :lol: Edit that four letter word if you need to moderators.

Return to “Review Feedback”