Roger Moore Died. :(

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Roger Moore Died. :(

Postby pacman000 » May 23rd, 2017, 11:03 am

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/roger-moor ... 03895.html

Not everyone's favorite Bond, but not the worst. (Timothy Dalton.)

He did have a nice suave style, and he starred in the only Bond movie where someone walked on the backs of real crocodiles.

scotland

Re: Roger Moore Died. :(

Postby scotland » May 23rd, 2017, 11:41 am

He was my Bond growing up. Cool and relaxed like his Saint or Maverick characters, but given some silly plots. The plots were just escapism from the post Vietnam / Watergate nightly news of the Iranian hostages, oil crises, hijackings, three mile island, mutual assurred destruction, etc. Not all that different from the Six Million Dollar Man on tv then, or the Avengers and Flash now I guess. He pulled if off well, until he got pretty old.

Actually, one of my favorite Bonds is one of Moore's later ones - For Your Eyes Only.

He starred in a movie called Ffolkes in 1980 after doing Moonraker. Its far more serious, with terrorist taking over an oil rig. It shows Moore could have played a different kind of Bond. Its a shame IMDB deleted all the discussions.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 23rd, 2017, 1:57 pm

God bless Sir Roger!

And Dalton was the most like the authentic Bond of all the actors.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 23rd, 2017, 7:38 pm

I've been watching all the Bond movies recently and Roger put in some great performances. Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, and For Your Eyes Only were all really good. I also think his last one, A View To a Kill, is underrated.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 23rd, 2017, 9:10 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've been watching all the Bond movies recently and Roger put in some great performances. Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, and For Your Eyes Only were all really good. I also think his last one, A View To a Kill, is underrated.

A View to a Kill is fun, but has some serious flaws. Here they had Roger Moore and Patrick McNee and they didn't know what to do with Mr Steed of the Avengers. Christopher Walken is cackling melodramatic, but still steals every scene even if he seemed to just be playing at it. Tanya Roberts was certainly stunning and sexy but not much acting talent. The plot goes everywhere - fixing horse racing, russians, nazis, blimps, pumping stations. I actually enjoyed Grace Jones, but I think Mayday and Bond could respect each other but not sleep with each other any more than Bond and Jaws. Although in this case I think she was too much a cold killer to be redeemable.

P.S. Bond survival trick number 38: Remember you can use an inflated tire as an emergency oxygen tank.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » May 23rd, 2017, 10:17 pm

scotland wrote:He was my Bond growing up. Cool and relaxed like his Saint or Maverick characters, but given some silly plots. The plots were just escapism from the post Vietnam / Watergate nightly news of the Iranian hostages, oil crises, hijackings, three mile island, mutual assurred destruction, etc. Not all that different from the Six Million Dollar Man on tv then, or the Avengers and Flash now I guess. He pulled if off well, until he got pretty old.

Actually, one of my favorite Bonds is one of Moore's later ones - For Your Eyes Only.

He starred in a movie called Ffolkes in 1980 after doing Moonraker. Its far more serious, with terrorist taking over an oil rig. It shows Moore could have played a different kind of Bond. Its a shame IMDB deleted all the discussions.

With you on this one Scotland. Roger Moore was THE James Bond to me because he was Bond during my childhood. Live and Let Die and Octopussy are two of my favorite Bond films. Seen them a dozen times.

And Scotland, you're right, they're were some dud movies, but as you said it was because of the outlandish plots, not Moore's acting.

jon

Postby jon » May 23rd, 2017, 11:36 pm

Sir Roger Moore was a great Bond. A lot of my favorite Bond movies are his ones. I'm sad to hear the news. However, I'm really looking forward to catching a lot of his Bond's again, next time they're on, even though I've seen them a million times, lol.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 24th, 2017, 8:50 am

scotland wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I've been watching all the Bond movies recently and Roger put in some great performances. Live and Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me, and For Your Eyes Only were all really good. I also think his last one, A View To a Kill, is underrated.

A View to a Kill is fun, but has some serious flaws. Here they had Roger Moore and Patrick McNee and they didn't know what to do with Mr Steed of the Avengers. Christopher Walken is cackling melodramatic, but still steals every scene even if he seemed to just be playing at it. Tanya Roberts was certainly stunning and sexy but not much acting talent. The plot goes everywhere - fixing horse racing, russians, nazis, blimps, pumping stations. I actually enjoyed Grace Jones, but I think Mayday and Bond could respect each other but not sleep with each other any more than Bond and Jaws. Although in this case I think she was too much a cold killer to be redeemable.

P.S. Bond survival trick number 38: Remember you can use an inflated tire as an emergency oxygen tank.

Moore performed the most dangerous stunt of all the Bond films in A View to a Kill: went to bed with Grace Jones.

Return to “Other Media”