Top 10 Rock Vocalists of all time

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
rockofhysteria

Top 10 Rock Vocalists of all time

Postby rockofhysteria » May 25th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Figured I would get in on the music lists here so what are your top 10 rock vocalists of all time here is my list

1-Sammy Hagar
2-Jeff Scott Soto
3-Jon Bon Jovi
4-Steve Perry
5-Freddie Mercury
6-Joe Elliot
7-Steve Augeri
8-Lou Gramm
9-Kelly Hansen
10-Robert Mason

Retrology

Re: Top 10 Rock Vocalists of all time

Postby Retrology » May 26th, 2017, 3:56 am

I'll do my favorites in no order

Mike Patton
Thom Yorke
Jeff Buckley
Michael Stipe
Chris Cornell (RIP)
Layne Staley
Brad Delp
Chino Moreno
Maynard James Keenan
Brett Campbell (Pallbearer)

Dave Gahan would definitely be on here but Depeche Mode technically isn't a rock band.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » May 26th, 2017, 4:41 am

Been waiting for this! Keep in mind, my rankings are based on their ORIGINAL performance, not necessarily reflection how good they are now.

10.) Don Dokken
9.) Tom Keifer
8.) Jani Lane
7.) Ted Poley
6.) Paul Stanley
5.) Donnie Vie
4.) Jack Russell
3.) Ronnie James Dio
2.) Stephen Pearcy
1.) Lemmy Killmister

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 26th, 2017, 11:36 am

Brian Wilson
Roy Orbison
Prince
Mike Patton
Tom Waits
Chris Cornell
Jim Morrison
Bon Scott
Freddie Mercury
Devin Townsend

Maybe some of these wouldn't be considered rock? Here are a few extras just in case:
Lemmy
Layne Staley
Glenn Danzig
Bruce Dickinson

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » May 26th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Robotrek wrote:Been waiting for this! Keep in mind, my rankings are based on their ORIGINAL performance, not necessarily reflection how good they are now.

10.) Don Dokken
9.) Tom Keifer
8.) Jani Lane
7.) Ted Poley
6.) Paul Stanley
5.) Donnie Vie
4.) Jack Russell
3.) Ronnie James Dio
2.) Stephen Pearcy
1.) Lemmy Killmister

Awesome list there :D I can verify that Ted Poley is still as great a vocalist now as he was on the first Danger Danger album. Also have seen Tom Keifer both Solo and with Cinderella. A fellow wrestler buddy of mine got to go to the Dokken reunion shows in Japan as well and said Don sang pretty good for his age.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 27th, 2017, 6:03 am

It was fun to go through my music and narrow down a top ten (and top examples for each). A good excuse to listen to what I love!

Mark Lanegan
Tanya Donelly
Kostya Kinchev
Bob Dylan
Debbie Harry
Elvis Presley
Robin Zander
Michael Gira
Lemmy Kilmister
David Lee Roth

Honorable mention: Heidi Phillips. Not the best singer I had to leave off the list, but one that I'd feel kinda sad about ignoring.

A few other favorites that don't really fit the "rock" stipulation:
Rickie Lee Jones
Hikaru Utada
Johnny Cash
2Pac
Imogen Heap

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » May 27th, 2017, 10:30 am

Ten that I like:

Vince Neil
Kevin DuBrow
Jon Bon Jovi
Ian Gillan
Tony Martin
Paul Stanley
Mark Slaughter
Dave Pirner
John Kay
Brian Howe

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 27th, 2017, 11:23 am

Stalvern wrote:It was fun to go through my music and narrow down a top ten (and top examples for each). A good excuse to listen to what I love!

Mark Lanegan
Tanya Donelly
Kostya Kinchev
Bob Dylan
Debbie Harry
Elvis Presley
Robin Zander
Michael Gira
Lemmy Kilmister
David Lee Roth

Honorable mention: Heidi Phillips. Not the best singer I had to leave off the list, but one that I'd feel kinda sad about ignoring.

A few other favorites that don't really fit the "rock" stipulation:
Rickie Lee Jones
Hikaru Utada
Johnny Cash
2Pac
Imogen Heap

Wow, I never thought I'd see Swans on this forum! I used to have this 2-CD set that included the Cop, Young God, Greed and Holy Money releases and it was some of the heaviest music ever made - not even metal, just this minimalist bludgeoning that existed outside of everything else. I'd put it on for friends and just watch their faces contort.I stopped after hearing Children of God, though. I need to get back into them - Neurosis and Godflesh are two of my favorite bands and they were obviously influenced by Swans.

I'm only just becoming familiar with Screaming Trees (I've only heard Sweet Oblivion so far) but I loved Mark Lanegan in Queens of the Stone Age. David Lee Roth and Johnny Cash were both on my short list as well - I only omitted Cash because he wasn't technically rock, but he's just as rock as a few other singers who ended up on my list so...

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » May 27th, 2017, 2:24 pm

rockofhysteria wrote:
Awesome list there :D I can verify that Ted Poley is still as great a vocalist now as he was on the first Danger Danger album. Also have seen Tom Keifer both Solo and with Cinderella. A fellow wrestler buddy of mine got to go to the Dokken reunion shows in Japan as well and said Don sang pretty good for his age.

Funny, I just saw all 3 of the ones you mentioned last month at Merriweather Post Pavillion on April 29th. Poley was actually out in the right lodge hanging out with us on the first day of the festival, even though Danger Danger only played the second day. He DID however sing Bathroom Wall during Faster Pussycat's set, since Taime Downe was out. It was kind of cool. The second day he performed it was AMAZING, he came out into crowd. It was fantastic. Don used to sound like GARBAGE, but he sounds okay now, definitely an enjoyable show he put on. Though he refused to encore because he wanted to go see Ratt on the other stage (Pearcy DOES suck now). Tom Keifer did a great set, but he's getting raspier.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 28th, 2017, 12:33 am

velcrozombie wrote:Wow, I never thought I'd see Swans on this forum! I used to have this 2-CD set that included the Cop, Young God, Greed and Holy Money releases and it was some of the heaviest music ever made - not even metal, just this minimalist bludgeoning that existed outside of everything else. I'd put it on for friends and just watch their faces contort.I stopped after hearing Children of God, though. I need to get back into them - Neurosis and Godflesh are two of my favorite bands and they were obviously influenced by Swans.

I was originally going to link Cop's "Why Hide?" for Gira, but I figured that I should pick something at least vaguely recognizable as rock. Good song if you want to feel like crying and vomiting at the same time, though!

If you care, my favorite Swans albums since Children of God are White Light from the Mouth of Infinity (definitely rock, but it doesn't really have Gira spilling his guts like in the '80s), the experimental and mostly instrumental Soundtracks for the Blind (my favorite Swans album), and the last three double albums. Their work this decade has been easily the greatest late-career run of any band; you could seriously argue that it's replaced the '80s as their defining era.

Return to “Other Media”