Does modern art annoy anyone else?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Does modern art annoy anyone else?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 28th, 2017, 4:19 pm

I don't pretend to be an art critic, but here lately so called "modern art" has been getting on my nerves a little. People seem to do the most random things, most of which require very little skill to make, but then say that its deep and full of personal meaning and apparently that's all it takes to make art. My local art museum had a canvas painted entirely one shade of gray, and beside it was a sign almost as tall as I am because it was so "deep" and "personal" that nobody except the artist could understand it without it being explained to them. In the outdoor section they have a rock in a hole. It hasn't been chiseled or sculpted, someone just dug a hole and put a rock in it, but there's a plaque next to it crediting him as an artist.
I don't know. I'm a guy with very little artistic talent, and I could make most of this "art" myself. To me, that speaks of a lack of effort, like they just threw something together, wrote a touching speech on how much it means to them, and sold it. Am I alone here? What do you guys think?

scotland

Re: Does modern art annoy anyone else?

Postby scotland » May 28th, 2017, 5:03 pm

"Art is anything you can get away with"

Modern art is often experimental, and realism has been tossed aside in favor of 'saying something'. I'm not an art major either, but it seems like when photography became a thing, the school of realism was pushed aside in art. Instead it became conceptual. Realistic art was pushed to be commercial, like Norman Rockwell or being a Disney animator. "Real" artists did other stuff.

The result is art that doesn't seem to come from a vast pool of talent, technique or discipline. Most of us can appreciate dedication, even if we don't appreciate its form, like appreciating an opera singer or an olympic athlete in some sport you don't like. With art though, we look at it and see deviations from realism and react against it sort of like an uncanny valley effect. If it looks like something a child could have created, it makes it hard for us to take very seriously as art. You can go to sites like this one https://www.timeout.com/newyork/art/the-100-best-paintings-in-new-york-museum-of-modern-art of the best 100 modern art paintings at the New York Museum of Modern Art and make your own conclusions as to what that museum trumpets as the best of the best.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 28th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Right. It's not that we have to limit the artists' creativity, but there should still be standards. At my local museum there's a giant sculpture of a nose. Weird? Yes. But I'll still call it art because it's a good sculpture of a nose. The artist obviously put a lot of time and effort into sculpting it. As opposed to the aforementioned rock in a hole, which was probably started and finished in less than ten minutes.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Funny you should bring this up. I was just reading an article about how some kids left a pineapple at an art museum and every body mistook it for a piece of high class art:

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu ... odern-art/

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » May 28th, 2017, 9:26 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote: My local art museum had a canvas painted entirely one shade of gray

Only one? I think there needs to be at least fifty for it to be considered art.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 29th, 2017, 2:05 am

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I enjoy it - I WANT to see what absurd thing can be declared art, to see how far the definition of Art can be stretched. That's not to say that I believe that someone who creates abstract art or conceptual art or performance art are trying to "game" the system - although I'm sure a few of them are.

This is a deep and loaded topic - it's hard to know what to say about it without writing a dissertation.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Right. It's not that we have to limit the artists' creativity, but there should still be standards. At my local museum there's a giant sculpture of a nose. Weird? Yes. But I'll still call it art because it's a good sculpture of a nose. The artist obviously put a lot of time and effort into sculpting it. As opposed to the aforementioned rock in a hole, which was probably started and finished in less than ten minutes.

What you are describing - the effort and attention to detail and the practiced mastery over materials and techinques that the sculptor put into the giant nose - is craft. Craft isn't art on its own, but it is a component of art. The rock in a hole also required craft, although obviously very little in comparison to the nose sculpture.

gametime

Postby gametime » May 29th, 2017, 10:14 am

Old saying from my days goes like this " One persons junk. Is another persons treasure." Sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We all share different perspectives or views on everything. Thankfully, it is what makes us creative and different.

I do not understand modern art, alternative music or modern gaming sometimes but I always try to be accepting of what is different with the hope that something can be learned from the experience.

Embrace things if you can if not just prepare yourself for more annoying things to come.

Annoy is another word old people use. Replace a few words in your sentence. Does kids playing on your grass annoy anyone else? If something annoys you then more then likely your getting older. :lol: It happens to all of us.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 29th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Welcome to the 1920s, I guess.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 29th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Return to “Other Media”