Movies You Like That No One Else Does

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Movies You Like That No One Else Does

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 17th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Robotrek wrote:Nobody else but me likes FreeJack. It's so deliciously cheesy it's incredible. Plus, Emilio Estevez!

Fantastic movie.
It was based on immortality incorporated by Robert Sheckley who was my favourite science fiction writer as a child.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 17th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:The original Tron. A lot of people think it's average at best but I love the film. Just saw it again last month and really enjoyed it. Hard to believe it was released 35 years ago.

Fantastic movie... 10 out of 10 plus a wonderful soundtrack by Wendy Carlos.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 21st, 2017, 1:09 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:The original Tron. A lot of people think it's average at best but I love the film. Just saw it again last month and really enjoyed it. Hard to believe it was released 35 years ago.

I saw that movie in theaters on opening day. Blew my mind with just how futuristic it looked. Nowadays though, it's so hard to make anything out! The CGI was really, really limited.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » March 22nd, 2017, 3:01 am

eneuman96 wrote:The 2003 Hulk movie directed by Ang Lee, which I even prefer to 2008's The Incredible Hulk. Whereas the latter movie plays things too safe and doesn't have any real standout moments, Ang Lee's take on the character is a fairly unique specimen of a movie. A lot of people dislike it due to not having as much action as one would expect and for having a ridiculous fight scene involving mutant dogs, but I like that it delves into the idea that the Hulk is comparable to a bewildered animal rather than just a badass who smashes things. If nothing else, I'd say it's worth watching for the editing, which is often bizarrely mesmerizing and helps the movie feel like more than just another early noughties superhero flick.

I love the honest trailer of the film... "Hulk... INTROSPECT!"

Tron

Postby Tron » March 22nd, 2017, 6:10 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:

Fantastic movie... 10 out of 10 plus a wonderful soundtrack by Wendy Carlos.

I agree!

Dementia 13
Teenagers from Outer Space
Garbage Pail Kids
The Wizard

I also agree that Waterworld was pretty good.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 4th, 2017, 11:36 am

Super Mario Bros. is a B movie masterpiece. I love it to death, and the cheesiness only adds to the charm. Who cares if it isn't a faithful adaptation when the movie is so fun?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 4th, 2017, 1:10 pm

I think that a "faithful" Mario movie would probably be an unreasonable expectation, but it wouldn't have killed them for it to have, oh, literally anything at all to do with the game. But even on its own terms, I don't see a "fun" movie there. It's as labored, overbearing, and ugly as Batman & Robin. (As for that movie, I'm convinced that anyone who defends it by connecting it to the '60s TV show has not actually seen the '60s TV show. Nothing in that zippy, snappy little program even begins to resemble Batman & Robin's revolting spectacle.)

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 10th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Based on the boards here, the new Ghostbusters apparently.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 1st, 2017, 4:59 pm

I must point out that I really do like Message from Space. Sure, it's a lot to take in on one sitting, but that just means there's lots of good things there, more that enough to make up for the bad bits.

Besides, some contemporary reviews of Star Wars complimented Star Wars for being a campy tribute to old serials. It's possible the director of Message from Space decided to make something a campy because of those reviews.

Haven't seen Starcrash. I have seen a bit of Louis Coat's Hercules movie. Mr. Coats could've been a good director, but his ideas needed refinement. Compare an early draft of Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark with the final product; if Lucas or Spielberg had gone with their 1st ideas the movies would've been just as bad as Starcrash. Then again, it's possible Coats was going for campy too...

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 1st, 2017, 6:26 pm

I don't know about campy per se, but definitely light and fun. I can't remember where, but I once read an interview with Luigi Cozzi where he mentioned that the Starcrash script's original draft was written years before Star Wars, inspired by pulp sci-fi and Ray Harryhausen movies. There's a fair amount taken specifically from Star Wars in the movie itself, but that was the producers' request during production. Fun fact: Cozzi didn't see Star Wars until after making Starcrash; he had only read the novelization.

Going back to the "light and fun" aspect, it really separates Starcrash from similar movies around the same time. When its contemporaries in Italy include unwatchably serious bores like War of the Robots and The Humanoid, it's a real stroke of luck that Starcrash has its priorities straight.

Return to “Other Media”