2010/5/8: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown, Samurai Shodown 2, Samurai Shodown 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2010, 2:05 pm

These reviews were a long time coming, considering I didn't have a review for the original SS, and the other two were reviews of the CD versions.

These are three very well crafting 2D fighters.  For collectors, you may want to consider getting the Japanese versions (Samurai Spirits), which will save you a lot of dough.  I have the Japanese versions of SS2 and SS3, and they play just like the English versions as long as you run them on an American console (or a modded console).

If you do buy, be sure to use my ebay links!

MikieSm

Postby MikieSm » May 8th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I have always considered Samurai Showdown II one of the greatest 2D fighting games of all time. A few retro-gamers who I have invited over to play it didn't care for it, citing the pacing, button layout or the weapons, but for the most part... I think fans of 2D fighting games from the 90's recognize SSII's depth and significance. Once again... I believe that the review posted does a really accurate job conveying the feel of the game.
--Mike

Danthor

Postby Danthor » May 8th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Quick correction FYI for the Critic on Samurai Shodown 1:

Nakoruru is not the only female in the game, methinks you completely missed Charlotte somehow!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2010, 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=Danthor]Quick correction FYI for the Critic on Samurai Shodown 1:

Nakoruru is not the only female in the game, methinks you completely missed Charlotte somehow!

[/QUOTE]

I plead insanity.  Actually I probably overlooked her because she's wearing that bulky knight outfit.

She's a man baby yeah!!  - Austin Powers

The review has been fixed.

Danthor

Postby Danthor » May 8th, 2010, 8:41 pm

It happens! I think of her as a feudal King, who also gets mistaken sometimes

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 8th, 2010, 11:02 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]  For collectors, you may want to consider getting the Japanese versions (Samurai Spirits), which will save you a lot of dough.  I have the Japanese versions of SS2 and SS3, and they play just like the English versions as long as you run them on an American console (or a modded console).

[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the case for all Neo Geo games. Apart from a handful games that were never intended for release outside Japan (largely Mahjong and Shougi games), the games have both the Japanese and English version on the same cart/CD. The version you get when you turn it on depends on the console's region, not which language the game label is written in.

Bunnycorn

Postby Bunnycorn » September 22nd, 2010, 12:16 pm

I know this is an old set of reviews, but I noticed an error in the Samurai Shodown 2 review. You mentioned a winpose where Genjiro runs off the screen while girls are chasing after him, but I don't remember Genjiro having a winpose like that. I think you're talking about Ukyo, not Genjiro.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 24th, 2010, 4:24 pm

[QUOTE=Bunnycorn]I know this is an old set of reviews, but I noticed an error in the Samurai Shodown 2 review. You mentioned a winpose where Genjiro runs off the screen while girls are chasing after him, but I don't remember Genjiro having a winpose like that. I think you're talking about Ukyo, not Genjiro.
[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you know what you're talking about, and the name Bunnycorn certainly carries some clout, so I will fix this!
Thanks for the heads up

fod

Re: 2010/5/8: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown, Samurai Shodown 2, Samurai Shodown 3

Postby fod » June 2nd, 2017, 1:59 pm

I've been wondering why the original source, NeoGeo version of Shodown 1 graded lower than the 3DO port.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2010/5/8: Neo Geo: Samurai Shodown, Samurai Shodown 2, Samurai Shodown 3

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2017, 5:17 pm

Well I rate games against other games for the same system, and the "bar" for 3DO is lower than the Neo Geo.
That said, the different between A- and C is a lot, so maybe I need to revisit those games and see if the reviews hold up.

Return to “Review Feedback”