Retron 5 Death Grip?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retron 5 Death Grip?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 7th, 2017, 10:34 pm

So I've been thinking about getting a Retron 5 to play Game Gear games (among others) but I recall reading early reviews about how it's hard to remove carts from the system, and in some cases it can damage them.

Does anybody know if this issue has been resolved? If so, Hyperkin might want to get the word out.
It would make me a lot more likely to buy.

Zachwave

Re: Retron 5 Death Grip?

Postby Zachwave » June 7th, 2017, 10:39 pm

I think it is safe to assume that the retron 5's problems are still very present, outside of the software department. Without going on a rant here I would just say be wary of your purchase, do the research etc.

You're almost better off making a game gear raspberry pi emulator, which would be a little more effort but probably within the 40-50 dollar range, and both will be emulators, and you wont have to worry about the death grip issue : - )

edited: phone posting made some interesting word corrections!

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 8th, 2017, 11:25 am

Mine was so bad that it ripped 3 of the pins out of the NES slot. I have been reading reviews of the new Retron 1 HD, and heard that it has death grips as well.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » June 8th, 2017, 1:09 pm

That's so weird, what is with these consoles having such a tight grip on the cartridges? Is it just poor craftsmanship, cutting corners?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2017, 4:55 pm

One reason I raised this question is because on FunStockRetro it specifically states:
"EU model with improved cartridge slots (resolved 'death grip' issue in older models)"

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/retron-5 ... sole-black

I'm planning to buy mine off Amazon. Can I assume that one is fixed as well?

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » June 8th, 2017, 10:35 pm

I got my Retron 5 about 2 1/2 years ago from Amazon, right around the time they were supposedly coming out with improved systems with higher quality cartridge slots. While the cartridge slots are certainly tight, mine doesn't seem to have the dreaded death grip others have complained about.

Overall, I've been happy with mine. My favorite thing about it is probably playing Gameboy Advance games. Now I'm kind of tempted to get this Game Gear adapter.

djc

Postby djc » June 11th, 2017, 12:08 am

There are two versions of the Retron5. The original gray/off-white version held the games tightly. The newer (black) model is significantly improved.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 11th, 2017, 1:47 pm

djc wrote:There are two versions of the Retron5. The original gray/off-white version held the games tightly. The newer (black) model is significantly improved.

Black was part of the original release. I got the black one on a pretty order when it was first announced way back when. Had the death grip.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 11th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Yeah I think it's true there are two versions but color isn't an indicator. I don't know if you can go by model number or serial number but from my understanding all the new ones should be fine. I have the retron 5 and the nes cartridge slot is a little tight but I wouldn't say it's a death grip. It does usually take me a few times to get an NES game to work though. Every other cartridge slot works great

Tron

Postby Tron » June 11th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Awhile back I tried to find info on the differences between the 1st editions and the newer editions to no avail. Good luck on that. Maybe some info is out there. Now

Return to “Video Games General”