Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear Portable reviews

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
pacman000

Re: Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear Portable reviews

Postby pacman000 » June 9th, 2017, 9:17 am

I've never owned a Lynx, but I was wondering something. If the cartridges are curved, how do you store them?" Game Boy carts are easily stack able; I'd imagine the Game Gear carts are the same. I suppose early Lynx carts could be stored in a trading card album, but the later ones, after Atari added the curve, how do you store them?

twilighthotel wrote:Supposedly the Game Gear was a tick above the Master System in terms of technology which is why it could play Master System games but not the other way around. Suffice to say some of the GG games couldn't have run on MS.

Indeed, the Game Gear could display more colors than the Master System. (32 for the GG; 16 for the MS) Tech-Toy made a semi-official port of G-Sonic to the MS; to get it to work they reduced the background graphics. http://www.theghz.com/sonic/g_sonic/g_sonic.html

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 9th, 2017, 1:16 pm

pacman000 wrote:I've never owned a Lynx, but I was wondering something. If the cartridges are curved, how do you store them?" Game Boy carts are easily stack able; I'd imagine the Game Gear carts are the same. I suppose early Lynx carts could be stored in a trading card album, but the later ones, after Atari added the curve, how do you store them?

Your intuition is right that the curved Lynx carts (after they abandoned the flat carts) don't stack and are harder to store. Actually, the Game Gear carts aren't flat either, so, unlike Game Boy carts, they also don't stack easily. For years, I stored my Lynx and GG games in the official storage bags made for the systems by Sega and Atari. These work fine for regular storage, unless you have a huge game collection that exceeds the bag's capacity.

Nowadays, I try to have my games more readily accessible in my gameroom, so I use the storage/display method that I mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=15870

I keep my Lynx carts in the same plastic storage containers that I show in the pictures in that thread. Works fine, especially if you put the carts upside down.

borntorun

Postby borntorun » June 11th, 2017, 10:54 am

I am a fan of both of these systems, but the Lynx is one of my favorites. It was revolutionary at the time. The 16-Bit graphics chip and the scaling really made it stand out over the Gameboy, and even most of the consoles at the time. One experience that I thought was so cool at the time was playing Blue Lightning while sitting on the plane as it was taking off

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » June 14th, 2017, 12:22 am

FYI - Epyx actually created the Lynx, but couldn't handle marketing it alone so they sought a partner getting Atari - Epyx would handle software development while Atari handled distribution. Epyx folded a year later alas, and Atari ended up with ownership of the entire project. Songbird Productions continues to release games for the system as well as the Jag.

Return to “Review Feedback”