What do you guys think of the 2DS?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
shootingstar

What do you guys think of the 2DS?

Postby shootingstar » September 16th, 2016, 1:38 am

I have always been interested in the 3DS, but I've also been iffy on it as I wonder if the price is worth the game library. Still, there are now some games I would like to play, but the price tag still gives me pause, even a good used 3DS is around $140.

I thought the 2DS looked a little awkward and the lack of a clamshell design means no screen protection, but the price tag is quite tempting at $80 brand new. I don't need the 3D support, so it seems like it's a good deal, but what does everyone here think?

scotland

Re: What do you guys think of the 2DS?

Postby scotland » September 16th, 2016, 7:52 am

I have one. Some people find it more comfortable to hold. I am used to a clamshell by now, but I like my 2DS too. It does seem lighter to hold, but check weight specs. The design was to make it both sturdy by removing the hinges, and cheaper to make by using one larger screen that works like two. For the price, I think its a great way to enter the library.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 16th, 2016, 8:46 am

There's something about it I like. I used to have one, and I loved the shoulder buttons. Perfectly curved to fit your index finger. Big and clicky too. The lack of 3d isn't a problem, how often would someone use 3d, anyway?

Not as portable as the 3ds, but still a comfortable system to hold. I would definitely think about getting one if I didn't already have an aqua blue 3ds and a 3ds xl. Well I did buy one a few years ago just to check it out. It is nice.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 17th, 2017, 11:21 am

I got one the other day ($80+MK7) just to see if I'd actually play it. I haven't had a portable system since the GBA, and I'm not really too interested in getting a new console. I like the idea of not being tied to the TV and the 3DS seems to have more games in interested in, compared to the Switch.

So far, I really like it. Just play in the bed after kids are asleep or when the family is out of town (really the only time I play video games).

3D isn't something I'd ever use, so now I'm considering if I should invest in the 2DS XL when it's released. The bigger screen size sounds appealing, but I read lot of people actually find the non-clamshell design more comfortable.
Portability is not an issue for me.

One question: in order to play Super Nintendo games via virtual console, you need a New 3DS......does anyone know if the 2DS XL will be able to? Honestly, the only SNES game I'm interested in downloading is super metroid, and with Samus Returns on the way, it may not be a deal breaker.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 18th, 2017, 7:23 am

I just want one to play the Zelda games. I may end up getting that 2DSxl. Its pricey, but I bet I will be able to find them used for pretty cheap in a year or so.

GTS

Postby GTS » June 18th, 2017, 3:19 pm

I enjoy the 3D feature, so there's no way I'd be getting a 2DS. I may upgrade to the latest model in preparation for the new Metroid.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 18th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Yeah, I'm surprised at the number of games I want to play, but link between worlds and Samus returns are at the top. Mario Maker and wooly world are next, and then maybe monster hunter (though I've never really got into RPGs...maybe I should try the Mario and Luigi or paper Mario one first??)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 20th, 2017, 11:02 am

While I do leave the 3D switch turned on on my 3DS, I've always said that the 3D effect with the 3DS is gimmicky and pretty useless. It just makes the graphics look a little nicer. Otherwise, it enhances nothing... it's not cool like the Virtual Boy's use of 3D. So I see no issue with picking up the 2DS to save money.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 20th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Yeah the fact that the affect on the eyes is even questionable makes it too risky for me. I'm enjoying my 2DS, but I'm planning to upgrade to the XL when Samus returns is released.

One note: Man! Portable games have come a loooonnnnggg way since the GBA.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 8th, 2017, 12:14 am

Voor wrote:One question: in order to play Super Nintendo games via virtual console, you need a New 3DS......does anyone know if the 2DS XL will be able to? Honestly, the only SNES game I'm interested in downloading is super metroid, and with Samus Returns on the way, it may not be a deal breaker.

Yeah it will, the 2DS XL uses the same chipset as the new 3DS and includes the NFC reader under the screen for amiibo support.

Return to “Modern Gaming”