Player Unknown: Battlegrounds

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Player Unknown: Battlegrounds

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 14th, 2017, 11:21 pm

I've been seeing random videos about PUBG for at least a month now, but I never actually paid any attention to it until tonight, and now that I have it looks pretty cool.

Basically, it's The Hunger Games mixed with Battlefield. 100 players are all dropped onto a roughly 5 mile x 5 mile island. You can choose when and where to jump out of the plane and parachute to the ground. You're complete unarmed, so you have to start looting buildings for guns and armor, and also vehicles to get across the island faster. Another plane will fly over and carpet bomb random places on the map. After a few minutes a weird forcefield thing will begin to converge on the island, effectively shrinking the battlefield (if you're caught in the field, it slowly kills you). This continues until only a small portion of the island is accessible, thereby forcing all the remaining players together for a final showdown. The last man standing wins.

After watching a few videos of this, it looks pretty cool. It's got the scope of a Battlefield game, but instead of waging large scale warfare you're pretty much fighting for survival. You have a map that shows your location and where the forcefield's boundary is, but you have no idea where the other players are. There's a player counter in the corner, and you can watch it slowly tick down without ever seeing anybody. There's a sense of paranoia because there could be somebody in every house, on every hilltop, taking aim at you, and you won't know until you get shot. I've seen people go more than half the match before they see another player, but they're still jumping at every sound because the suspense is that strong.

Anyway, it's only for PC right now, but they've announced that it'll come out for PS4 and Xbox1 too eventually. I may just pick it up, assuming the final product is as good as it looks. What do you guys think of this?

Voor

Re: Player Unknown: Battlegrounds

Postby Voor » May 15th, 2017, 7:14 pm

I used to watch a streamer named Lirik that played ARMA 3 and H1z1, which are basically the same game. Check out his streams on twitch.

Yeah, it does seem really fun, but very hard, since you effectively a target for 99 other people. Still, tremendous feeling of accomplishment when you succeed.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 15th, 2017, 9:04 pm

True, but it's not like all 99 of them are targeting you at the same time, lol. Every single person is a target for every other person, so the odds are even. I actually suck at shooting games so I don't expect to ever actually win a match, but I'd be happy if I survived until, like, somewhat close to the final battle lol.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » June 21st, 2017, 2:01 pm

This is not my usual type of game, and I've stayed away from games like H1Z1 in the past as well. I mostly suck at online multiplayer games too. However, a friend gifted it to me, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

The game is incredibly suspenseful, as there are no respawns. Because you start off unarmed, you have to spend time either exploring for items, or looting them off other players that you've killed. As a result of all the time and effort you've spent trying to gather items and simply surviving, the tension just starts to build, knowing that your play area is continuously shrinking and the only players left are other ones that have managed to survive this long. But the satisfaction of sneaking up on another player who is equally tense and anxious is unparalleled.

I've managed to make it to the top ten without killing a single other player and simply staying out of the way. But every game is going to be different based on where you decide to drop in, the random weapon/item spawns, and because there literally are 100 players in the game all with their own strategies and skills. And as frustrating as it is when you die, it only takes a minute or two to start a new game, so you can jump right back into it right away.

It's not perfect, and it certainly is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but for those that sound intrigued by it, I'd say check it out.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 21st, 2017, 8:39 pm

It certainly looks more suspenseful than something like Overwatch, because it's much more methodical. You really have to develop a strategy and of course, make adjustments on the fly.

I don't have the means to play it, but I certainly would like to.

Return to “Modern Gaming”