My Idea for a Sonic Comeback (further thoughts)

General and high profile video game topics.
astrodomekid

My Idea for a Sonic Comeback (further thoughts)

Postby astrodomekid » June 28th, 2017, 11:30 am

I've already discussed my idea for a darker Sonic game on my original "My Idea for a Sonic Comeback" as well as my "Can a game suck no matter how technically well made it is?" topics. I got some disagreement both times and that's fine, but I'll try to explain it a little better.

On both topics, the user Stalvern asked "Which one is gonna start this comeback: making it dark or making it good?", and to you I say both. Admittedly, the idea does sound stupid on paper. And yes, this would be pretty hard to pull off. But that's why you have to try your best! Personally, I don't think it's fair to criticize a game just for being completely different in tone. Now, if it was something like Shadow the Hedgehog that was just trying way too hard or something like Bomberman: Act Zero that was neither entertaining in the slightest or had anything to do with Bomberman at all, then I would understand getting upset. But when a game explicitly does everything in its power effort-wise to be taken seriously, is it really worth just writing it off as one of gaming's biggest question marks rather than appreciating it for what it is or showing some respect for what it's trying to do? And yes, I'm aware that Sega is already focusing on more traditional Sonic games with Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, but I'd still like to see them try one day. As much as I love the traditional Sonic formula, I don't want them to just keep making the same thing over and over again. To me, that would be like asking for another Call of Duty. If we're gonna get something new that's Sonic, I do want them to try something different. I do want them to take risks without being afraid of the purist fan base. I have been told that it's impossible to take something seriously when it has some out-of-place material in it (especially in a franchise that has been bright and colorful up to that point), but I'd like to see someone challenge this theory and pull off a reimagining that manages to be fresh but still stay true to its predecessors. Just think back to Kingdom Hearts; admit it, you thought it was gonna be stupid and laughable going in. But in the end, it was not only one of the best RPG's of all time, but also one of the best RPG franchises of all time. Why? Because they tried, and they did everything in their power to put the pieces in all the right places. Other franchises have gone for different tones as well, whether its the dark and serious tone of the Batman Arkham trilogy, or the bright and campy variant of Lego Batman. Sonic, in my opinion, is no different in this aspect. In addition to the games, there's also the comic books as well as the SatAM Sonic cartoon that put more emphasis on the storylines and even had darker moments here and there. So I think this could still work.

So... here's what I had in mind:

1. Redesign the characters to have them blend in with the darker tone but remain faithful to their original personalities (minus the more annoying aspects).
2. Use all-new voice talent so the characters are a lot easier on the ears.
3. Redesign their world to match the darker tone but retain enough familiar elements to keep it in the same universe.
4. Preserve a sense of lightheartedness to balance things out.
5. Use modern dramatic storytelling and good writing to keep things interesting.
6. Maintain interest with effort into the actual gameplay, controls, stage design, etc.

Perhaps I won't be able to win this argument. After all, we all have our different views on things. But as the old saying goes, "You can't judge a book by its cover".

velcrozombie

Re: My Idea for a Sonic Comeback (further thoughts)

Postby velcrozombie » June 28th, 2017, 7:26 pm

My idea for a Sonic comeback:

1. Get the people who made Freedom Planet
2. Give them a decent budget and stay out of their hair
3. ?
4. PROFIT

Stalvern

Re: My Idea for a Sonic Comeback (further thoughts)

Postby Stalvern » June 29th, 2017, 1:02 pm

astrodomekid wrote:So... here's what I had in mind:

1. Redesign the characters to have them blend in with the darker tone but remain faithful to their original personalities (minus the more annoying aspects).
2. Use all-new voice talent so the characters are a lot easier on the ears.
3. Redesign their world to match the darker tone but retain enough familiar elements to keep it in the same universe.
4. Preserve a sense of lightheartedness to balance things out.
5. Use modern dramatic storytelling and good writing to keep things interesting.
6. Maintain interest with effort into the actual gameplay, controls, stage design, etc.

When you break it down like this, it makes a lot more sense. What you're describing is basically Jak II, which was a big hit.

Return to “Video Games General”