Systems You Have Sold Off

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Re: Systems You Have Sold Off

Postby CaptainCruch » June 27th, 2017, 9:09 am

Of all the systems I owned I also sold off my Sega Master System... and I regret it until this day, so I'll not sell another system, even if it's just collecting dust.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 28th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Doesn't there come a point where you have so many systems, it inhibits you wanting to buy anything new? Wouldn't selling an older system allow you the liberty to expand to a new system? Look at your gaming habits - do you continue to explore your old system's libraries, or do you focus on collecting for newer systems? Do you play on emulators or retro equipment?

I have a lot of systems, but I've explored some to my satisfaction. I know there are a number of Saturn fans here, but for myself, I am pretty much done with it. I have not booted it up in some time. I don't need to sell either the Saturn or the games to finance the pursuit of another system, but I feel like I have so many libraries to continue to explore, or other systems to sample. For instance, I've never played a Spectrum.

Emulation would let me emulate a Spectrum. The stigma against using ROMS seems to be about the level of making a minor social faux pas these days. Its not the same as having a real Speccy, of course, but it can now be argued that its actually 'better' that the original in some sense in giving things like save states, pauses, access to large libraries or rare games, or even output more suited to the televisions most people actually have.

Remember the new SNES Classic is just an emulator. Lots of Gen X'ers or Millenials may buy it because of nostalgia. However, the older Baby Boomers are downsizing, and whatever they collected is on the market at fire sale prices. That wave of downsizing will hit Gen X'ers too, and instead of buying nostalgia, they'll be selling too.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 29th, 2017, 8:24 am

scotland wrote:Doesn't there come a point where you have so many systems, it inhibits you wanting to buy anything new? Wouldn't selling an older system allow you the liberty to expand to a new system? Look at your gaming habits - do you continue to explore your old system's libraries, or do you focus on collecting for newer systems? Do you play on emulators or retro equipment?

I have a lot of systems, but I've explored some to my satisfaction. I know there are a number of Saturn fans here, but for myself, I am pretty much done with it. I have not booted it up in some time. I don't need to sell either the Saturn or the games to finance the pursuit of another system, but I feel like I have so many libraries to continue to explore, or other systems to sample. For instance, I've never played a Spectrum.

I have come to the conclusion that I just want consoles that I have some sort of history with. I just sold off my entire 3DO collection, because it just collected dust and I had no attachment to it. However, I just bought a master system and an intellivision to which I have an attachment to.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 12th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Reviving this old thread because I’m considering culling my collection. I’ve got 500+ games (I haven’t counted, maybe even over 1000), and not much time to play them. I have a bad habit of buying new games even when I’m in the middle of another one and a lot of the time that causes me to quit the middle of the game I’m currently playing and move on to the new one. I even do this when I like the game I already own. So my backlog is extensive. I’m considering selling in the following order of how easy it is for me to part with them:

1) Bad games hat I have no or little nostalgia for - I don’t own that many outright bad games that I didn’t own as a kid. It’s easy to sell Bugs Bunny Double Trouble. Not struggling with this one.

2) Mediocre games that I have no or little nostalgia for - I’m such a collector that even getting rid of these is hard. Yeah I wasn’t a huge fan of Ranger X, but what if the 5th time I try it I learn to love it? It seems ridiculous to keep these games though. I know I’ll never play them.

3) Good games I’m never going to play - I own Final Fantasy XII with a strategy guide on PS2. At no point in the foreseeable future as I going to have time for this game. Yet part of me still is saying, “Well what about 40 years from now when you’re retired? Won’t you want to have it to play then?” Ridiculous but I struggle to sell a good game even if I realistically know it’s just collecting dust.

4) Mediocre games I have some nostalgia for - I’m so sentimental that it’s harder for me to sell a mediocre game that I rented a few times as a kid than it is to sell a good game. Do I really need to own Boogerman? It’s not like I grew up on it. I just have a few memories of playing it with my brothers. I have a ton of games that fall into this category.

5) Systems that are collecting dust - I really only have a couple systems I could see myself selling. I feel like all the Hd collections on PS3 made my PS2 redundant. I only own 6 or so SNES games and I have a Retron 5 I can play those on. I love my 32x but I’ve only played the Sega cd twice; I feel like I own it just for the cool factor (cool to me, not to most other adults). My Neo Geo Pocket Color is fun but I have so many other handhelds with bigger libraries. Other than that I feel like if I own at least one game on a system that I love and can’t play anywhere else, then I need to keep it, so the rest would stay.

Help convince me one way or another. I also really want to stop buying games until I’ve trimmed down my backlog considerably.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 12th, 2018, 3:38 pm

So many of these posts resonate with me. I’m continually flip flopping around my collection depending on the day of the month and my mood. It is either:

1). Have 1 console per generation.
2). I’m missing out on loads of good games why don’t I just keep the best games on all systems and sell the others.
3). Sega games are my favourite why don’t I just collect Sega games.
4). I can emulate right upto the Dreamcast why am I wasting money on expensive games when the developers don’t see the money just re-sellers.

As you can see I’m in constant conflict with myself as all the above points are different.

Sometimes I’m glad I sold a System then I’ll think about it and go about buying it back.

I have let go (and usually regretted)
Amstrad GX4000
Fairchild Channel F
C64
Atari 8-bit
But conversely these sales helped fund some of my favourite and more costly Sega games.

I JUST CANNOT DECIDE !

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 12th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Well at least I’m not the only one who goes through this internal struggle.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 12th, 2018, 7:23 pm

ESauce wrote:Help convince me one way or another. I also really want to stop buying games until I’ve trimmed down my backlog considerably.

Games are like books.. they take so long to complete, and so many new ones are constantly coming along, that unfortunately there is no such thing as "clearing your backlog". And taking time to catch up just ends up leaving you further behind! Trust me, I took like 3 years off from modern gaming a few years ago.. And did it help me clear my backlog? Nope.. but it did leave me with 3 years of gaming that I missed and had to catch up on! At the end of the day, I've just tried my best to focus on the best of the best. I rely heavily on reviews and recommendations, with the mindset that I simply don't have time for average games anymore. It's simply playing the odds to narrow my options, even if I miss a lot of great games that way. I just make exceptions as needed.

As for buying and selling, I think a lot of us share that internal struggle. I would be surprised if I've played more than 20 or 30% of the games I have. And that percentage is always shrinking, because I certainly buy games more often than I complete one. In some ways, I enjoy the aspect of collecting games even when I don't play them, while at other times I question why I'm investing $20 on something when I have tons of games ahead of it and know I might never play it. As far as selling, I have trouble doing that unless it's a duplicate. I also, as a general rule, won't sell a game unless it's worth at least $15-$20, as I feel like it's not worth the effort for less than that. That "too low to bother" price is different for everyone. At the end of the day, I balance it by considering (1) will I realistically ever want to play this again, (2) what is it worth, and (3) considering the answers to those, is it worth selling? If I definitely want to play it again, then I don't even consider selling. If I might or might not play it, then I have to consider what it's worth and see where that pushes me. Or I can sell it if I know I'll never play it, but yet I still keep it if it's too cheap to bother selling (i.e., Bugs Bunny Double Trouble), or if it's important to my collection in some other way (like if I only have a few games for a system and don't want to shrink it further). Maybe the same formula would work for you.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 12th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Yeah I’ve weighed selling stuff many times and every time I end up in the, “well it’s not even worth selling for just $5” mindset, and end up in the same place I started. I think I need to stop looking at them individually if I want to actually cut back though. If I have 50 games that fall into that I don’t play and would sell for $5, then that’s $250 for games I don’t play.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 12th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Kind of a painful subject. After getting my Playstation I sold back all my 16-bit stuff, including my Genesis and SNES. That hurts to think about. I guess there was no such thing as retro-gaming back then.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » February 13th, 2018, 12:44 am

Selling my childhood AdventureVision for 20 bucks back in 1987 was a huge mistake.

Return to “Video Games General”