Pokemon Snap (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retrology

Pokemon Snap (N64)

Postby Retrology » July 4th, 2017, 12:56 pm

I just got this game back from a friend of mine who was renting it, and made sure to check if it's held up or it's aged poorly.

Luckily, it's stood the test of time! What makes this game stand out is it's designed like a first person rail shooter, except you're lining up a crosshair to take pictures of these animals (Pokemon). If you take 60 photos the level is over and you have to choose the best photos so they can get reviewed by Professor Oak. It's a lot more fun than it sounds because there's many secrets hidden plus the game keeps your high scores based on how well your photos were taken. You even get a few items along the way, and can save your game to battery.

The game is short, but it's really addicting, and to be frank I can't think of another video game like this. You don't need to be a Pokemon fan to enjoy it, and I really think the VGC should review this, as it's a glaring omission from the N64 review collection. Thoughts?

Retro STrife

Re: Pokemon Snap (N64)

Postby Retro STrife » July 4th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Ha, any subconscious inspiration for this from my topic nagging VGC to review this game ("best N64 games the critic hasn't reviewed")? Well either way, I'm glad you tried it again because I was wondering how well it held up. I figured it would, because it's so unique and brilliant in its simplicity. I played it to the end back in the day and really had a good time with it. Def up the Critic's alley, in my opinion, and worth a review.

This could be my favorite N64 game- definitely top 5 for me. And I'm not a Pokemon fan at all (never played any other Pokemon game). But I'm always a fan of one-of-a-kind gaming experiences, and Pokemon Snap delivers... nothing else like it. Maybe it's not an A to everyone, but even if it only turns out to be a B or C range game, it's still unique enough that it's worth playing. And it sells for under $10, so you can't go wrong.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » June 18th, 2020, 8:02 am

There was a new pokemon snap game announced yesterday. It's called... New pokemon snap. I've never played pokemon snsp, but it sounds cool, and it looks like you don't even need to be a fan of pokemon to enjoy it.

Nintendo sure loves using "New" in their titles these days. It's bad enough to use it on a system ("New" 3ds) but to also use it on games is lazy. First, New Super Mario Bros., then Yoshi's New Island, and now this. Whats wrong with Pokemon Snap 2? I'm hoping for Kirby's New Air Ride.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 18th, 2020, 11:12 am

CharlieR wrote:There was a new pokemon snap game announced yesterday. It's called... New pokemon snap. I've never played pokemon snsp, but it sounds cool, and it looks like you don't even need to be a fan of pokemon to enjoy it.

Nintendo sure loves using "New" in their titles these days. It's bad enough to use it on a system ("New" 3ds) but to also use it on games is lazy. First, New Super Mario Bros., then Yoshi's New Island, and now this. Whats wrong with Pokemon Snap 2? I'm hoping for Kirby's New Air Ride.

Thanks for the good news. Now this has me intrigued. As a big fan of the original (despite not being a Pokemon fan), this might be the game I need to finally buy a Switch.

Still need to convince the VGC to review the original though...

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 18th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Count me in as a 'Not pokemon fan but I like this game.' The N64 is NOT a system I collect for. Honestly for a me a 'full collection of games' would be a very very small amount. This game is on that list. Few games genuinely feel relaxing to play. Like you're on a little vacation. This has a feel like that. Pairs fantastic with a cold beer and a bong, if you're into that kind of thing. (And it is legal in your location. Disclaimer.)

Return to “Now Playing”