Is Silent Hill HD Collection really that bad?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Is Silent Hill HD Collection really that bad?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 6th, 2017, 5:09 pm

I've been thinking that I want to try Silent Hill 2, but I'm not sure which version I should get. I already own a PS3 so I could buy the HD Collection (which also has SH3) fairly easily. But I've heard lots of complaints about that version that say it's practically unplayable. Apparently the original PS2 version is way better, but I don't own a PS2 and would prefer not to go buy another console if I don't have to. What do you guys think? Is the Silent Hill HD collection really that bad?

Atariboy

Re: Is Silent Hill HD Collection really that bad?

Postby Atariboy » July 6th, 2017, 10:18 pm

The PS3 version had a patch that helped a lot. So unless you're very picky, intend to play it on a Xbox 360 which didn't see any of the fixes be applied, or object to what's on disc not being very representative of the finished product, it's a fine way at this point to experience Silent Hill 2/3.

The frame rate is now a much more consistent 30 fps in Silent Hill 2 and much of the missing/toned down fog effects have returned. Silent Hill 3 on the other hand was already in decent form at release, although some diehard fans objected to the replaced voice acting (SH2 on the other hand has an option for original or remastered voice acting).

A 3rd option for Silent Hill 2 is the Xbox port, if you own an original Xbox (It's also officially on the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility list, but is so broken on that emulator that it's laughable that Microsoft ever cleared it with issues like saves deleting themselves and a flashlight that shines in front and behind your character).

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 7th, 2017, 5:19 pm

My issue with it is the controls. I'm too used to modern third person games that use a standard control scheme I found going back to the old style of SH2 was too frustrating and I didn't play it that much. It looked good though.

JWK

Postby JWK » July 14th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Digital Foundry analyzed every version of Silent Hill 2. The GH version on PS2, played on an SD CRT TV, is the definitive way to play the game. Everything from shadows to textures to fog to framerate are the best in that version. Why GH over the original PS2 release? It has the little bit of extra content that made it to the XBox version plus the technical advantages of the OG PS2 release.

After PS2, the original XBox version and the PC release of the time are quite good. DF recommended them if you don't have a PS2.

Last is the PS3 and 360 ports. They removed fog, removed shadows, have added glitches, audio clipping, crappy framerate, etc etc. This is about as lazy a port for these two games that could have been done. Konami gave a the team a shoestring budget and they could only afford to patch one version and they chose the PS3. The PS3 patch fixes *some* of the glitches but it still isn't a good version of SH2. If you have none of the previously mentioned options, go PS3 over 360.

It may seem picky to break down each game the way DF did, but the entire point of playing Silent Hill 2 is for the atmosphere. The HD ports screw that up, unfortunately.

Return to “Classic Gaming”