Review Wish List

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Review Wish List

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 8th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Is there a game you wish the critic would review? What is it?

- I haven't played it, but I'd be interested in hearing what he had to say about the PS3/360 game Remember Me. It's dirt cheap used these days.

- Seeing how he enjoyed Heavenly Sword and DMC, I think he should try Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. It's made by the same company, and just as good.

Voor

Re: Review Wish List

Postby Voor » July 8th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Just a couple:

Battle Kid 2, NES--a homebrew NES title that was actually the last game released. Like mega man but faster and harder, but still fair, like other NES classics. Part 1 is good, but part 2 is more refined. Most of all, it's gets my vote for best tunes on the NES. Seriously. Here's a link to a speedrun of it. Good commentary too.

https://youtu.be/fGuX1QMRleA

Krazy Kreatures, NES--probably the simplest puzzle game ever, I guess it's like Candy Crush, but not quite. Here's James and Mike giving it a try.

https://youtu.be/RMzO3nRUlz4

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 9th, 2017, 12:29 am

I'd like to see a review for Metal Gear Solid for the Gameboy Color. It has been called the best Gameboy game ever.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 10th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Three games I'd like to see The Critic review in the future:

1) The Guardian Legend (NES) Part Zelda-esque top down RPG. Part vertical scrolling shooter. And a lost classic in my humble opinion.

2) The Magic of Schererzade (NES) A very obscure action/RPG title from the late 80's and early 90's. I don't think I've seen a review of this game anywhere ever!

3) Little Ninja Brothers (NES) A pretty quirky and silly RPG with Kung Fu Heroes styled combat sequences mixed with more traditional turn based combat sequences typical of most RPG's of the era. I remember me and a few of my buddies spending an entire summer trying to beat this game. Great times.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » July 10th, 2017, 9:57 pm

As a fan of Doug TenNapel's work, I really want to see the Critic do a review of The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys. The Neverhood is a pc game, but it does have a Japanese ps1 import called Klayman Klayman. It's a pretty unique game in that it used claymation and has a quirky atmosphere.
https://youtu.be/Q-79BZ5-zCA
Skullmonkeys was one of those sequel games that had to be made into what was mainstream, which were platformers at the time, kinda like with Toejam and Earl. It's a pretty fun game and is as equally quirky as the first game.
https://youtu.be/SRLRDDK4DqU
I also highly recommend giving the OST a shot. It's so good.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » July 11th, 2017, 7:58 am

Having read through the entire Nintendo 64 Reviews page by TheVideoGameCritic, These games I'm listing are ones he should take a look at, As they've had a mixed reception and are liked by some, Hated by others:

Automobili Lamborghini, This racing game which features arcade style racing with not just lamborghini's but also Porsche's, Ferrari's, and Mclarens is one of the few racing games to have the rare save on cart function, I can't say the same for the controls though.

Bomberman 64, As Bomberman's first game in full 3D on the Nintendo 64, This game contains a long series of story maps and a classic throwback Bomberman deathmatch mode for up to 4 players, This game is rare and expensive nowadays, Going as much as $50 for just the cart.

Daikatana on Nintendo 64, I'm not sure if he's done Daikatana before but this Nintendo 64 version which was released quickly to get it out on store shelves is more buggy than the PC version and contains lots of "cut" in filler and horrible controls, I believe it was listed by some as a failure in game industry.

Earthworm Jim 3D, This disaster was the only Earthworm Jim game to be in 3D and contains awful controls, Poor gameplay and a very bad lack of humor which made the series so enjoyable. ;) :twisted:

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 11th, 2017, 11:12 am

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:Bomberman 64, As Bomberman's first game in full 3D on the Nintendo 64, This game contains a long series of story maps and a classic throwback Bomberman deathmatch mode for up to 4 players, This game is rare and expensive nowadays, Going as much as $50 for just the cart.

This game was released in Japan under the title Baku Bomberman -- which I mention because they then released a totally different, Japanese-exclusive game under the title "Bomberman 64"!

Confusing, no? People sometimes unofficially call it "Bomberman 64: Arcade Edition", though AFAIK that subtitle appears nowhere on the release. I think it was the very last Japanese N64 release IIRC, but don't quote on that.

Anyway, I've been playing a fan-translated version of the Japanese Bomberman 64 and it's pretty fun. It's basically a compilation of Bomberman games plus a funky RPG-ish mode where you play minigames, and while the graphics are basically Super Nintendo-level, they don't really need to be fancy for a game like this. I think the Critic might enjoy this one; I'd recommend playing the fan translation (which would require a N64 flash cart), but the original game should be more or less navigable even in Japanese.

Otherwise, I've thought about games here and there that I'd like to see the Critic review, like Steel Harbinger on the PlayStation or Atomic Robo-kid on the Genesis. But more than any specific game, I enjoy seeing his review sets for particular consoles approach completion. So far the Virtual Boy is the only one that's gotten that far -- the US release library has, anyway -- but the 32X and Atari 5200 are close. I'd rather see those few unreviewed games get attention than any of my pet favorites, at least for now. :)

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » July 11th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Simcity for the SNES (1991) is a genuine classic. I believe the most similar game to this he has reviewed is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis Xbox (2003) which he gave a B-. Simcity is the genesis of this type of game and Nintendo (developed and published) nailed this Maxis classic on it's first attempt. This game has such an easy learning curve you will be setting up nice looking city even on your first attempt. But you will keep working at it because you know you can keep do better and make a more populated metropolis.

This is the perfect game to get yourself acquainted with this genre. Many games in this genre can just overwhelm and scare off many players with how complex they are but Nintendo/Maxis hit the perfect balance of simple interface yet plenty of customizing options. Pop this amazing game in your Retron 5 critic and use all those save states to do crazy experiments on your city until your hearts content.

There is a cheat code for this game which I highly recommend using to start the game with $999,999. Using the cheat code you can focus on just trying to build the perfect city and seeing how many people you can squeeze into this fish bowl without worrying about the day to day penny pinching.

My personal grade for this game is an A.

Hope it's OK... I'm going to cross post this under reviews since I took my time to write this recommendation and it turned into a review..

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 11th, 2017, 3:13 pm

I also want to see him review Horizon Zero Dawn. He gave Breath of the Wild an A+, and from what I've heard HZD is just as good. It just didn't get the attention it deserved because they released it right alongside BotW.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » July 12th, 2017, 8:53 am

Yeah, I Completely forgot about the Japanese version of Bomberman 64, I should've been more specific. >-<. I though of mentioning some more but I doubt the Critic would have the patience for these games.. The "Stinkiest" of the lot according to Me, TheGamePunk and N64 Glenn Plant from Youtube:

Dark Rift, This horrible fighting game is one of three in the "Crticom" Series, Often called the Trilogy Of Terror due to it's awful controls and bad standing with "video game journalists"

Dual Heroes, This pathetic game which was made by the legendary Hudson Soft has No A.I. in it what-so-ever and it's the Fighting game that many enjoyed to mock due to it be a bare bones game, It reportedly is rare and expensive with $40 asking price for the Cart.

Mace:The Dark Age, As I've seen through my playthrough of this game, It's another one of these cheep Generic Mortal-Kombat rip-offs and it also contains crappy controls, bad graphics, and horrible A.I. The Nintendo 64 lacked any good fighting games aside from Mortal Kombat 4.. It's depressing to think about that.

And Penny Racers, This odd game is plagued by bad gameplay due to how the cars flip if you turn too far, It also has "simple" tracks and very little content for a game that goes for about $35 online now.

Return to “Video Games General”