Most valuable game?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Most valuable game?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 8th, 2017, 11:41 am

My friend Scott has brought to my attention the fact the Legend of Hero Tonma (US version) is fetching upwards of $1K on ebay. Since I have a mint copy (purchased 15 years ago at normal price), I think that would make it my most valuable game. Guess I should apply the "rare and expensive" icon to that one.

What is you most valuable game? Also, let me know if there are other valuable games in my collection I should be aware of!

CaptainCruch

Re: Most valuable game?

Postby CaptainCruch » July 8th, 2017, 1:01 pm

My most valuable game is probably Zelda's Adventure for CD-i. However, also Mega Turrican (Sega Genesis/MegaDrive) is going for high prices nowadays, maybe even equal to that of Zelda's Adventure.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 8th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Some more valuables games in your collection (I guess):

Knuckles Chaotix, 32X, around $100 on Ebay
Link: Faces of Evil, CD-i, around $150 on eBay
Zelda: Wand of Gamelon, CD-i, around $150 on eBay

Rev

Postby Rev » July 8th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Mostly my Turbografx CD games - Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Explorer II, Super Air Zonk, and a couple others... They're fricken expensive nowadays.

Sinistar

Postby Sinistar » July 9th, 2017, 3:28 am

I have Hagane on the Super Nintendo. I picked it up about 10 years ago for around $20, which at the time I thought was a little too much for a 16-bit game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 9th, 2017, 4:11 am

Most valuable game for me is a complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga ($600-ish), which I was fortunate to get for dirt cheap about 10-15 years ago. Many of my most valuable games are for the Sega Saturn, with several in the $100-$350 range, all of which I bought for much less back in the mid-2000s (and I thought they were expensive back then!).

For you Critic, your "rare and expensive" icon is definitely being woefully underused--you have a lot more valuable games in your collection than you probably realize. This past year I've started price-checking my entire collection and I've been very shocked by the increase in value for games in general. However, I can tell you from my personal experience that Sega Saturn, Turbografx, and (to a slightly lesser degree) Super Nintendo have taken the biggest % bump in price over the past 10-15 years... If you price your games for those three systems you'll be shocked, since I assume you bought a lot of those games years ago. You'll find certain games that you bought for $20 in 2005 going for $120 now. Check it out.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 9th, 2017, 4:13 am

By the way... for quick and easy pricing, I highly recommend PriceCharting.com (if you don't already use it). That site pulls data from the most recent ebay auctions in order to estimate each game's value. It's a great tool- not perfect, but more than sufficient for quick price checks... many retail game stores and vendors even use it to price their games. Grab a stack of Saturn games and try it out.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 9th, 2017, 11:28 am

CaptainCruch wrote:Link: Faces of Evil, CD-i, around $150 on eBay

Seriously? I grabbed that for a buck or two at a thrift store some years back. It's in perfect condition, too; it even has the little cardboard sleeve around the case. After checking eBay, it looks like that detail puts it into the $300 range!

In that case, The Faces of Evil bumps my boxed The Neverhood down to second place. I can't find one on eBay, but the cheapest (by a wide margin) on Amazon is $181.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 9th, 2017, 11:33 am

Most valuable games for me are Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Magic Knights Rayearth, Shining Force III, PDS, and Saturn Bomberman. All for the Saturn.

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » July 9th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I think the most vaulable games I own are these 3 for my Sega Saturn: Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, and Sonic Jam. I've been obsessed with Sega Saturn collecting ever since I graduated High School back in 2008, so I'm thankful to have gotten into it WHEN I did: the prices on even the *cheap* games are getting crazy.

Another valuable one I have is Ristar for my Genesis, but although it has the original box, it's sadly missing the manual.

Return to “Video Games General”