Retron 5 Update

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retron 5 Update

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 8th, 2017, 11:36 am

So I realized I had a partially written Retron 5 review (available on my Patreon page btw) but I realized the best test would be the most demanding Genesis game: Sonic the Hedgehog. So I put it in this morning and noticed right away the music seemed noticeably slow. Then I began playing and noticed the gameplay was also appreciably slower. The gameplay was accurate and the music sounded on key, but no blast processing. Still, the game looks amazing, especially when you apply a visual filter.

In general, I think my friends prefer old games on the Retron. The screen is so big and bright, and you won't even notice the slowness if you're not familiar with the game. I will continue to base my reviews however on the original systems and a CRT display.

Retro STrife

Re: Retron 5 Update

Postby Retro STrife » July 9th, 2017, 9:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I will continue to base my reviews however on the original systems and a CRT display.

Glad to hear this. I was concerned about that when I saw one of your recent Game Gear reviews mentioning the impact of the Retron 5 on the games. I got worried that the convenience of using the Retron system meant that you would stop using the original systems. Crisis averted! I think using any form of hardware or software emulation would diminish the reliability of your reviews. (As an example, if you commented about bad music in a particular game, I'd have trouble trusting if you're right or if the system is the problem.)

Return to “Classic Gaming”