Game coverage by the media sucks

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Game coverage by the media sucks

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 9th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Today I picked up a PS4 game from Target called Micro Machines World Series! Micro Machines for the new generation! So why hadn't I heard anything about this?

Probably the same reason I didn't hear anything about most low-budget games. The media seems to ignore them. They seem more preoccupied with the first-person shooter and realistic sports titles. In other words - the big budget stuff. Do companies like EA and Sony own/control these sites?

I don't recall reading any reviews about the PS4 version of Rocket League, even though it's probably the best game for the system. I mainly rely on you guys to give me a heads-up when a really interesting new title is coming out. Or I stumble upon it at Target.

My old game magazines (circa 1990's) had dozens of reviews and even more previews EVERY MONTH. Now I pick up Game Informer and it might have six reviews - if that. What's going on?

Sonicx9

Re: Game coverage by the media sucks

Postby Sonicx9 » July 9th, 2017, 7:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Today I picked up a PS4 game from Target called Micro Machines World Series! Micro Machines for the new generation! So why hadn't I heard anything about this?

Probably the same reason I didn't hear anything about most low-budget games. The media seems to ignore them. They seem more preoccupied with the first-person shooter and realistic sports titles. In other words - the big budget stuff. Do companies like EA and Sony own/control these sites?

I don't recall reading any reviews about the PS4 version of Rocket League, even though it's probably the best game for the system. I mainly rely on you guys to give me a heads-up when a really interesting new title is coming out. Or I stumble upon it at Target.

My old game magazines (circa 1990's) had dozens of reviews and even more previews EVERY MONTH. Now I pick up Game Informer and it might have six reviews - if that. What's going on?

I agree 100%, the big problem with modern video gaming is the AAA Western Mature rated dudebro market in which I blame EA (who I HATE with a passion BTW), Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, etc. It is sad that niche Japanese games, Indies, smaller games, arcade pick up and play games, etc, get little to no attention. Which shows that big companies lobby the media to give there stuff attention where smaller/lower budget stuff get lost in the shuffle.

One thing I like about the Nintendo Switch is it caters to the smaller/lower budget 3rd party games instead of the mainstream stuff. This does give niche Japanese games, Indies, smaller games, arcade pick up and play games, etc a bigger exposure on the Nintendo Switch as that system does not have a market for AAA Western Mature rated dudebro games or sports games which makes the system a breath of fresh air.

And related with this is sales of niche Japanese games, Indies, smaller games, arcade pick up and play games via NPD sales.

Super Bomberman R which I know got mixed reviews from critics/users alike was #3 at launch month as far as best selling Switch games go likely because there was not many games for it in the market, and The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth + was #5 during that month for Switch and both Bomberman and Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth + would get zero attention on the PS4/Xbox One with the crowded AAA Western Mature rated dudebro/sports games market.: https://venturebeat.com/2017/04/20/marc ... big-month/. And for April, Puyo Puyo Tetris was on the top 5 games for the best selling Switch games during that month where the PS4 counterpart did not even make the top 10 spot on launch month!: https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/18/april-2017-npd/, And the late Nintendo Switch port of Disgaea 5 was #4 on the launch month of May as far as Switch games go!: https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/19/may- ... p-selling/ And this July only two retail Nintendo Switch games are being released this month which are Splatoon 2 and a smaller lesser know game called Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star is being released 4 days after Splatoon 2 giving possibility the Nintendo Switch port will make the top 10 NPD July sales at #10 minimal because of the lack of new retail Switch games during that month.

Got to love the Nintendo Switch not trying to become another PS4/Xbox One system!

DevMac10

Postby DevMac10 » July 10th, 2017, 11:03 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Do companies like EA and Sony own/control these sites?

A lot of the big companies can afford to pay a lot of money to advertise on those sites and the publications don't want to lose their ad revenue, so they (the publications) pressure their critics to give good reviews. So big companies can indirectly control the sites.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » July 12th, 2017, 9:45 am

Just curious Critic, what mainstream media are you referring to? I usually visit IGN, USGamer, and Nintendo Life for gaming news and I see lots of articles/previews for independent games. Of course big budget games get much more coverage, but isn't this the case for every kind of media? Big budget movies are advertised everywhere, with reviews plastered on the front page of the entertainment section, while indie movies are buried at the back of the newspaper, or not reviewed at all. Same with music. The new U2 album is everywhere, whereas you have to dig to find the review of the latest release from the Vaccines or any other indie band.

The thing is, back in the 80s and 90s there was really no big budget game vs indie game. They were basically all the same. So all of them were reviewed. The newest Zelda would of course get more coverage, but there was no real big divide.

Just my 2 cents.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » July 12th, 2017, 12:41 pm

It seems outlets are more caught up in histrionics and non-issues of games versus the actual content of games.

Return to “Video Games General”