Old Mechanical Games

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
scotland

Re: Old Mechanical Games

Postby scotland » July 10th, 2017, 8:29 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Here's one I had as a kid.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Tomy-DemonDriver.jpg

Tomytronics! Ever taken one apart? like a giant film reel in there, driven by a coil spring. They often don't work this many years later because the spring has lost its springiness. Really inventive though - no batteries, no electronics, just mechanical goodness.

That site is fun too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2017, 8:31 pm

That DemonDriver game reminded me of a large hand-held I had called HIT AND MISSILE - a mechanical target shooting game. Lots of fun.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 10th, 2017, 8:52 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I got a game for my birthday one year the name of which I can't remember. It had two teams of plastic naval vessels and each ship had between one and three slots on the bottom (depending on the size of the ship). Each player had a submarine that could shoot these small red discs - if you hit one the slots on the one of the plastic ships a part of the ship would "explode" via the magic of rubber bands. If anyone knows what game I'm talking about please let me know.

This was the game I was talking about earlier - Torpedo Run! from 1986:

milton_bradley_mb_games_1990_torpedo_run.jpg
milton_bradley_mb_games_1990_torpedo_run.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Torpedo-Run-web.jpg
Torpedo-Run-web.jpg (83.62 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 18th, 2017, 7:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was just talking to a friend about some of the fun old board games we used to play as kids, including:

Run Yourself Ragged - this was an ingenious little obstacle course game you controlled with knobs and levers. Apparently the game still exists under a new name.

Hungry Hungry Hippo - my sister had this one. Very loud but fun.

Mousetrap - Seems to me this was kind of complicated to set up.

Thank you for mentioning the name of Run Yourself Ragged! A house my grandparents rented for the summer when I was a kid used to have this in their game closet and I could never recall the name of it when trying to describe it to anyone. It really was a very addictive game. It was even cooler than the real wood nunchuks they had in the game closet. Although my memory of those might be tarnished by whacking myself in the funnybone while trying to do a Michelangelo impression.

Hungry Hungry Hippo is still around and still as loud. This was actually one of the first 2 board games I ever had as a kid (the other game involved stuffing sponge people into a "phone booth"-like structure until it popped. Apparently this was a popular concept in the early 80's). My only complaint about newer versions is you have to assemble the hippos and attach them to the board everytime you want to play. It's not overly time consuming, but it is a minor annoyance.

Crossfire - I would never have imagined this one came out in the 70's! A good friend of mine had it, but more than anything I remember it's uber late 80's commercial with the theme "Caught in the crossfiiiiire!!!"

Apparently games about "Don't wake ..." were popular at one time. We had a game similar to "Don't wake Daddy" called "Don't wake the dragon" which involved top-hat wearing penguins trying not to wake up a dragon (both are naturally indigenous to Antarctica, of course).

Return to “Other Media”