Simcity SNES.

The readers post their own reviews.
Wallyworld

Simcity SNES.

Postby Wallyworld » July 11th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Simcity for the SNES (1991) is a genuine classic. I believe the most similar game to this he has reviewed is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis Xbox (2003) which he gave a B-. Simcity is the genesis of this type of game and Nintendo (developed and published) nailed this Maxis classic on it's first attempt. This game has such an easy learning curve you will be setting up nice looking city even on your first attempt. But you will keep working at it because you know you can keep do better and make a more populated metropolis.

This is the perfect game to get yourself acquainted with this genre. Many games in this genre can just overwhelm and scare off many players with how complex they are but Nintendo/Maxis hit the perfect balance of simple interface yet plenty of customizing options. Pop this amazing game in your Retron 5 critic and use all those save states to do crazy experiments on your city until your hearts content.

There is a cheat code for this game which I highly recommend using to start the game with $999,999. Using the cheat code you can focus on just trying to build the perfect city and seeing how many people you can squeeze into this fish bowl without worrying about the day to day penny pinching.

Grade: A

Luigi & Peach

Re: Simcity SNES.

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 11th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Never knew about the money cheat code, but I always made sure to turn off natural disasters. Although was a monster (Bowser?) ripping through your city a natural disaster?

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 12th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Wallyworld wrote:Simcity for the SNES (1991) is a genuine classic. I believe the most similar game to this he has reviewed is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis Xbox (2003) which he gave a B-. Simcity is the genesis of this type of game and Nintendo (developed and published) nailed this Maxis classic on it's first attempt. This game has such an easy learning curve you will be setting up nice looking city even on your first attempt. But you will keep working at it because you know you can keep do better and make a more populated metropolis.

This is the perfect game to get yourself acquainted with this genre. Many games in this genre can just overwhelm and scare off many players with how complex they are but Nintendo/Maxis hit the perfect balance of simple interface yet plenty of customizing options. Pop this amazing game in your Retron 5 critic and use all those save states to do crazy experiments on your city until your hearts content.

There is a cheat code for this game which I highly recommend using to start the game with $999,999. Using the cheat code you can focus on just trying to build the perfect city and seeing how many people you can squeeze into this fish bowl without worrying about the day to day penny pinching.

Grade: A

How would you say that the SNES port compares to the PC version? I never gave the SNES version much of a chance because I was used to playing it on PC.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 12th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:Never knew about the money cheat code, but I always made sure to turn off natural disasters. Although was a monster (Bowser?) ripping through your city a natural disaster?

I don't believe so. In the old PC versions I think you could only get the Godzilla attack if you specifically selected it from the Disasters menu.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 16th, 2017, 11:55 am

In the SuperNes game, Bowser is a natural disaster.

If I'm remembering the excellent instruction manual correctly, he's most likely to strike if air pollution in your city is bad.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 16th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Really nice music in this one. 5-6 years ago I sat down to play SimCity SNES for a few minutes and ended up in a 6-hour session, which speaks to its addictiveness and ability to pull a player in.

Return to “Reader Reviews”