Japanese main console equilvents from 3rd to 8th gen

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Japanese main console equilvents from 3rd to 8th gen

Postby Sonicx9 » July 14th, 2017, 11:34 pm

I would like to make a list of main consoles in Japan and the equivalences success during each console generations.

Note: minor consoles like the 3D0/Neo Geo are not listed for obvious reasons, and the Sega Dreamcast/Nintendo Wii Uare also not listed because the consoles where not long term in terms of support.

3rd gen: Famicom the first place console king during the gen, and Sega Mark III/Sega Master System was dead last flop!

4th gen: Super Famicom was the first place console king during the gen and the equivalent of the famicom, PC Engine was second place, and the Sega Mega Drive was dead last place flop just like the Sega Mark III/Master System from before.

5th gen: PlayStation 1 was the first place console king during the gen being the equivalent of the Super Famicom, Sega Saturn was second place and was the PC Engine equivalent of the console gen where it did well in Japan, but bombed in the west, but the N64 was the black sheep Sega Mega Drive equivalent console of the gen in Japan making it the only time a Nintendo hardware was last place as far as main consoles go. My guess was the more western catered/dudebro M rated FPS games which do not get along well in the country, an oddity for the family friendly Nintendo consoles, go figure?

6th gen: PlayStation 2 was the first place console king during the gen being the equivalent of the Super Famicom/PS1 from before, GameCube was second place and was the PC Engine/Sega Saturn equivalent during that gen, but the first Xbox was the black sheep Sega Mega Drive/N64 equivalent thanks to being a western made console filled with dudebro M rated FPS games littering that console!

7th Gen: Wii was the PS2/PS1/Super Famicom/Famicom of that gen in Japan, PlayStation 3 was the PC Engine/Sega Saturn/GameCube being the hardcore gamer second place consoles just like the respective, but the Xbox 360 was still a black sheep Sega Mega Drive/N64/first Xbox with the same fate!

8th Gen: even though the Nintendo Switch has only been out for 4 mounts it is shaping into the next Super Famicom in terms of popularity https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ninte ... 0-6451257/. The PS4 is the spiritual successor to the PC Engine/Sega Saturn/GameCube being the hardcore gamer second place consoles in the long run, but the Xbox One like the previous two Xbox consoles and the Sega Mega Drive and N64 from the 4th and 5th gen bombed with only over 80,000 as of July 2017.

Can you correct me on the equivalences and was I accurate with the equivalences in Japan, please let me know?

Sut

Re: Japanese main console equilvents from 3rd to 8th gen

Postby Sut » July 15th, 2017, 8:29 am

No corrections, but different regions do vary.
It's well known that Nintendo has always performed poor in Europe, save the Wii and Game Boy. So in your words the NES was 'dead last flop' in Europe, whereas the NES was king in NA and Japan. South America different again.

Not sure if your list is a revelation to you. But if your looking at Japanese gaming much more interesting is researching Japanese home computers like the X68000, MSX, PC-88, etc. These systems are where classic games like Snatcher, Castlevania, Metal Gear originated. Also the second generation in Japan is also very different with consoles exclusive to that region from the likes of Casio and Bandai not to mention the SG-1000.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 16th, 2017, 1:20 am

I can't begin to decipher this OP.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 16th, 2017, 8:54 am

Stalvern wrote:I can't begin to decipher this OP.

I thought I was the only one!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 16th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Oh, I think I get it now. It's going off some idea that each generation has consoles embodying the same archetypes. Except these archetypes basically amount to "this one sold a lot" and "this one wasn't as popular", plus some speculation about whether they were for "dudebros" or "hardcore gamers" or whatever. And I'm supposed to "correct" the "accuracy" of this, as if that were even possible.

Sonicx9, if you want to think about video game consoles in this very specific, convoluted way, go right ahead. I can offer no substantial refinements to your model.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » July 16th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Hi Sonicx9.

What do you think was the Japanese equivalent of the Atari 2600? The Atari 2800 was released too late, about the same time as the Famicom if memory serves. My bets are on the Epoch Cassette Vision, which was successful enough to get an upgraded version ( the Super Cassette Vision) to complete against the Famicom, PV-1000, etc.

Apparently the Super Cassette Vision could display 200+ sprites at a time. Gotta wonder why it wasn't more successful.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 16th, 2017, 7:15 pm

pacman000 wrote:Hi Sonicx9.

What do you think was the Japanese equivalent of the Atari 2600? The Atari 2800 was released too late, about the same time as the Famicom if memory serves. My bets are on the Epoch Cassette Vision, which was successful enough to get an upgraded version ( the Super Cassette Vision) to complete against the Famicom, PV-1000, etc.

Apparently the Super Cassette Vision could display 200+ sprites at a time. Gotta wonder why it wasn't more successful.

I did not list second gen because in Japan the market did not get big until the 3rd gen starting with the Famicom, go figure.

Return to “Video Games General”