Polybius

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
pacman000

Re: Polybius

Postby pacman000 » July 17th, 2017, 11:17 am

Stalvern wrote:
pacman000 wrote:I'd suggest that the Tempest-like game play might've been inspired by the rare (and trippy) Cube Quest laser disk game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvdYgfKAzxk

That's just the background footage. Here's the actual game (albeit emulated).

Wow. Thanks! Are those polygonal graphics? Cool. I'd really like to play that game.

Combining low-res bit-mapped graphics with those backgrounds would make a game look like it had subliminal messages.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 17th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Herschie1 wrote:Welp, I decided to download the 2007 remake game. Contrary to what they might say, it doesn't make you go crazy, it doesn't make you forget your name. I can still remember that my name is Ronald Reagan, but I can't seem to remember how a skunk manages to sing Elvis songs. It's scary out there though, as they end is near, and they are watching us. Oh well, at least I like cheese.  

Getting serious though, that game did make me a little woozy after playing it for awhile. Perhaps that's the same wooziness I get after playing first-person shooters like Metroid Prime, or Medal of Honor. I played it a little last night, and didn't have any nightmares, nor did I have any trouble whatsoever falling asleep. I wouldn't say the game is addicting, though it is rather fun and interesting to play. And I certainly don't have any aversion to video games now, as I intend to play MLB 14: The Show on my PS4 right after I feed the dog. 

But then again, this is a remake, and not the actual ROM of the 1981 game. If you do download it, I suggest going into the README file to find out how to mess with the higher functions. Turn on everything it offers to get the full experience. 

And definitely stay away from this if you're prone to seizures. 

If thesr forums had a "thumbs up", "thumbs down option, I'd be giving you a huge thumbs up. Great post!!!

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 17th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Herschie1 wrote:Welp, I decided to download the 2007 remake game. Contrary to what they might say, it doesn't make you go crazy, it doesn't make you forget your name. I can still remember that my name is Ronald Reagan, but I can't seem to remember how a skunk manages to sing Elvis songs. It's scary out there though, as they end is near, and they are watching us. Oh well, at least I like cheese.  

Getting serious though, that game did make me a little woozy after playing it for awhile. Perhaps that's the same wooziness I get after playing first-person shooters like Metroid Prime, or Medal of Honor. I played it a little last night, and didn't have any nightmares, nor did I have any trouble whatsoever falling asleep. I wouldn't say the game is addicting, though it is rather fun and interesting to play. And I certainly don't have any aversion to video games now, as I intend to play MLB 14: The Show on my PS4 right after I feed the dog. 

But then again, this is a remake, and not the actual ROM of the 1981 game. If you do download it, I suggest going into the README file to find out how to mess with the higher functions. Turn on everything it offers to get the full experience. 

And definitely stay away from this if you're prone to seizures. 

If these forums had a "thumbs up", "thumbs down" option for every comment posted , I'd be giving you a huge thumbs up. Great post!!!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 22nd, 2021, 1:12 am

Are they sure they weren't just on drugs and simply played Tempest? After spending some quality time with that game via an arcade classic on PS1, it seems to be what is described. The game even came out in 1981, and I must say it's a remarkable game. So I can see why everyone wanted to play it.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » March 24th, 2021, 7:26 pm

I am always fascinated by this topic. It is probably false, but I don't know how anyone can confirm this. I am anxious to hear more about this.

Return to “Classic Gaming”