Nintendo 2ds xl

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Re: Nintendo 2ds xl

Postby Sonicx9 » May 6th, 2017, 11:27 am

BanjoPickles wrote:I wish they'd stop with the constant revisions of their hardware and start refocusing on releasing games for the friggin' thing!

Honestly, at this point, I'd be happy if they put all of their handheld efforts into reviving the 3DS Virtual Console! Come on, they're still releasing VC titles for the Wii U, and yet they've killed support for the 3DS twice!

Nintendo Handhelds are the Street Fighter 2 of Handheld gaming because they do so many updated revisions!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » July 19th, 2017, 9:19 am

Sonicx9 wrote:I will consider getting a New Nintendo 2DS XL to replace my New Nintendo 3DS XL because I do not really use the 3D on that system as it hurts my eyes/drains battery/frame rate performance.

But before I consider it I want to know the following?

Is the battery life better then the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Is the system Matte Finish.

How durable it is.

How good the picture/screen quality is.

How good is the audio quality/speakers.

Is it easier to take out the Micro SD card, because I hated that in the New Nintendo 3DS XL in regards to taking in and out the Micro SD card.

I have till fall 2017 to make that decision based on feedback by critics/users.

This comes out soon, along with a sidescrolling Pikmin game, and a mii RPG game. There are a lot of video reviews out now, which should answer a lot of these questions.

One review I read on engadget said that it actually had shorter battery life than the new 3ds XL, which is surprising to me. Speakers are on the bottom where your palms would cover it. Some reviews say this isn't a huge bother though. The stylus is short and uncomfortable to hold, and in an odd spot on the bottom left.

It is getting good reviews, though. It has a nice finish on the outside, but doesn't feel to cheap

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 23rd, 2017, 12:26 pm

CharlieR wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:I will consider getting a New Nintendo 2DS XL to replace my New Nintendo 3DS XL because I do not really use the 3D on that system as it hurts my eyes/drains battery/frame rate performance.

But before I consider it I want to know the following?

Is the battery life better then the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Is the system Matte Finish.

How durable it is.

How good the picture/screen quality is.

How good is the audio quality/speakers.

Is it easier to take out the Micro SD card, because I hated that in the New Nintendo 3DS XL in regards to taking in and out the Micro SD card.

I have till fall 2017 to make that decision based on feedback by critics/users.

This comes out soon, along with a sidescrolling Pikmin game, and a mii RPG game. There are a lot of video reviews out now, which should answer a lot of these questions.

One review I read on engadget said that it actually had shorter battery life than the new 3ds XL, which is surprising to me. Speakers are on the bottom where your palms would cover it. Some reviews say this isn't a huge bother though. The stylus is short and uncomfortable to hold, and in an odd spot on the bottom left.

It is getting good reviews, though. It has a nice finish on the outside, but doesn't feel to cheap

Should I get it or wait or stick with the New 3DS XL, because the one thing that might prevent me from getting it is the Battery life?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » July 24th, 2017, 10:08 am

I'd stick with the new 3ds xl if you have it. The 2ds xl seems to be a more streamlined version, lighter and smaller than the new 3ds xl, all while still having the same screens. The micro sd card is actually on the bottom left of the new 2ds xl, next to the game card slot, so you won't need to unscrew the back to access it.

I'm pretty sure it is a slightly less battery life for the new 2ds xl vs the new 3ds xl. I've heard between 3.5 and 6.5 hours for the new 2ds xl and 3.5 to 7 hours for the new 3ds xl.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 24th, 2017, 5:02 pm

My main question is, does this play "New" 3DS games? Or just "Old" 3DS games? (Man, could they have picked a worse name for the thing?)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 24th, 2017, 7:35 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:My main question is, does this play "New" 3DS games? Or just "Old" 3DS games? (Man, could they have picked a worse name for the thing?)

This SKU plays all 3DS and almost all DS if it does not require the GBA slot.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Nintendo_2DS_XL

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 16th, 2017, 12:37 pm

I did finally get the 2ds xl. I knew I wanted it, but I spent the initial week it was out finding every review I could. I finally just said the heck with it and bought it.

It is lightweight, which I like. I had a regular 3ds xl which was pretty heavy. The rounded edges make it feel like you are playing a standard sized 3ds, while still having the larger screens. The outside of the system seems to attract fingerprints a little.

The top panel is very sleek. You'll find the screen here and nothing else. it is also glossy, which means it will attract fingerprints. The other downside of this is that the speakers are on the bottom, facing down. I haven't noticed a problem with this on regular volume, but on full blast, there is a vibration to the unit.

The stylus is very small. I have an original 3ds stylus that doesn't extend, and the 2ds xl stylus is even smaller that that!

Voor

Postby Voor » August 16th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Sweet. I'm waiting to pick up Samus Returns first. And if I dig that game and decide it's something I want to invest a lot of time in, I'll grab the XL. If not, I'll just stick with the 2DS.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 17th, 2017, 9:47 am

I forgot to mention that two days after I bought the 2ds xl, Nintendo announces a special Metroid 3ds xl! I knew I wanted the 2ds xl, I just find it funny that they announce a system days after I buy one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... c1ae2e3d28. Weird that it doesn't come with the game, physical or digital.

Return to “Video Games General”