2017/8/5: Playstation: Tomorrow Never Dies, Danger Girl

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/8/5: Playstation: Tomorrow Never Dies, Danger Girl

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2017, 10:17 am

Posted a new set of Playstation One reviews. Have at it.

velcrozombie

Re: 2017/8/5: Playstation: Tomorrow Never Dies, Danger Girl

Postby velcrozombie » August 5th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Danger Girl is based on a comic book by J. Scott Campbell, who is also known for his work on Gen 13 and as a cover artist for both Marvel and DC. As a 15-year-old, Campbell won a "Invent the Ultimate Video Game" contest in Nintendo Power - his submission appeared in issue #6:

web-Campbell.jpg
web-Campbell.jpg (88.7 KiB) Viewed 3101 times

I'm not the biggest fan of the guy's professional work, but this was pretty impressive for someone so young.

For their 200th issue, Nintendo Power interviewed Campbell and he drew the insert poster, a collection of Nintento characters in his own style (sorry for the small size of the pic):

The Internet Archive still has a snapshot of the interview as well, although the images no longer seem to work:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070930005 ... e=newsmain
Attachments
Normal_poster.jpg
Normal_poster.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 3101 times

scotland

Postby scotland » August 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Danger Girl is an ongoing comic that is a mix of 90s good girl art mixed with James Bond.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » August 6th, 2017, 5:03 pm

scotland wrote: good girl art

Never heard this term before today, but immediately recognized the art style when you named it. Went on a short Google search to confirm I was right. Had to immediately delete browsing history. :)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 6th, 2017, 5:16 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Danger Girl is based on a comic book by J. Scott Campbell, who is also known for his work on Gen 13 and as a cover artist for both Marvel and DC. As a 15-year-old, Campbell won a "Invent the Ultimate Video Game" contest in Nintendo Power - his submission appeared in issue #6:

web-Campbell.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of the guy's professional work, but this was pretty impressive for someone so young.

That's awesome he went on to do great things! I remember reading about Lockarm and thinking he had some great ideas. Way more creative and clever than myself that's for sure.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Atarifever wrote:
scotland wrote: good girl art

Never heard this term before today, but immediately recognized the art style when you named it. Went on a short Google search to confirm I was right. Had to immediately delete browsing history. :)

Ha! In the 90s, comics went extreme. Smaller comics companies had extreme examples of good girl art that are sometimes called 'bad girl art.' Google things like Witchblade for an example - although theres that browser history to consider.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » August 7th, 2017, 8:26 am

I remember there was a lot of hype for Tomorrow Never Dies since it was the next Bond game after GoldenEye. Some of my friends thought it would be the PlayStations answer to GoldenEye. They wound up very disappoint. Lol

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 7th, 2017, 10:31 am

Kevin wrote:I remember there was a lot of hype for Tomorrow Never Dies since it was the next Bond game after GoldenEye. Some of my friends thought it would be the PlayStations answer to GoldenEye. They wound up very disappoint. Lol

Yeah, that review gave me the same flashback... In the late 90's, I was a Playstation gamer and there was only one N64 game that we were truly jealous of -- Goldeneye. (Sorry Mario and Zelda...) The PS1 could beat the N64 in most genres (or at least come close), but it just had no answer for Goldeneye. So a lot of hype generated around Tomorrow Never Dies, but once reviews came out it was clear that it didn't hold a candle to Goldeneye. Medal of Honor and Syphon Filter were probably the best shooting games the PS1 got, but (while good games) they weren't in the same league either. I eventually bought an N64 around 2001 and Goldeneye was the main reason.

Return to “Review Feedback”