Limited Run Games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Limited Run Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 12th, 2017, 8:31 am

I love the idea of Limited Run Games - the company that brings back old games in physical form.
https://limitedrungames.com/collections/games

The thing is, couldn't they produce a lot more so there's less of a feeding frenzy?
Did they really think they would have trouble selling out of 5000 copies of Night Trap?
I really hope they consider producing more batches in the future.
I feel bad for the people who missed out.

I think I would be willing to purchase many more of their games if they were readily available.
Their prices seem very reasonable.

scotland

Re: Limited Run Games

Postby scotland » August 12th, 2017, 9:18 am

I have noticed some books I have gotten are printed on demand. You always get your physical book, but it just may be a short wait. I also buy hobbyist made video game stuff that is the same way - made according to demand after the fact, and less on spec hoping to sell inventory.

It seems like as long as there is demand, there should be a way to get a physical copy of a game nowadays with 3d printing. It may be a sales tactic, as knowing there are limited numbers discourages hesitating and encourages impulse buying.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 12th, 2017, 11:17 am

Most of these appear to be console releases. I'm fairly sure the PS1 had some technical barriers to prevent people from playing burned disks w/o mods; I can't see them dropping that feature on newer systems, and printing off a single disk would be too expensive to be practical.

There may also be legal barriers; system manufacturers might not license games on burned disks; game developers might not allow them to make disks on demand; etc.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 12th, 2017, 9:20 pm

I like Limited Run Games but man... their stuff sells out quick... Games they release now are about 2-3 times the batch size then when they first started however any big game that goes through them sell out in minutes. You have scalpers who buy up probably 30-50% of their stock which i refuse to pay.

For bigger games like Wonderboy or Nighttrap I wish they would have done runs of like 10,000 copies or more. I bet it would have still sold out in less than an hour but more of the fans would be able to get the games.

JWK

Postby JWK » August 13th, 2017, 11:03 am

I like the *concept* of LRG more than I actually like them in practice. Along with a happy collector putting a physical box on his shelf of a formerly digital only release, there's the inflated after market. The problem with Limited Run Games and the after market is that it happens immediately. Check eBay. There are already people flipping Wonderboy for $80 and they haven't even received the game yet. Is a physical game release that forces you to be at your computer at a certain moment and sells out in 3 - 4 minutes really a good thing for gaming? I'm not so sure anymore.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 14th, 2017, 9:16 am

I hope you get a chance to review Night Trap very soon. I'm curious whether I missed out... I had been going back and forth about whether to get this PS4 re-release. I've been playing the 32X version recently with my girlfriend, so I got her input. I touted the improved FMV quality as a big reason to get the PS4 version. She pointed out that the bad FMV quality was part of the charm, which I agree with, so I decided to pass on it. Of course, once it sells out instantly, then I end up wanting it (much like the NES Classic, which I had no need for, but still wanted when it sold out). It doesn't help that PS4 Night Trap is now going for $100 on ebay... Does anyone know, how fast did it sell out on Friday?

Anyway, looking forward to the review!

Return to “Video Games General”