How much did it cost?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
scotland

How much did it cost?

Postby scotland » August 15th, 2017, 11:14 am

A thread about how much things are costing

For me, I know several people have Nintendo Switches, so my question is: How much did a 'reasonable setup' cost you? There is no pack-in game, so add in the price of at least one game, plus whatever accessories you bought shortly thereafter that you thought were needed.

Herschie

Re: How much did it cost?

Postby Herschie » August 15th, 2017, 11:54 am

I think I spent like $400-$450 for two games, the system itself, and accessories. Probably would have saved some had I known how terrible 1 2 Switch was.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 15th, 2017, 6:31 pm

My Dell desktop with a 6th-gen i5 and a GTX 1070 cost me $760. It was a steal.

My Wii U last year that I bought for BoTW had a list price of $200, but I didn't directly pay anything for it because I abused the heck out of Gamestop trade-in bonuses.

I did the same for my PS4 this year. I don't remember what my PS3 cost many years ago.

My RGB-modded n64 cost me about $100. I bought an Everdrive v3 for it for $190.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 15th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Herschie wrote:I think I spent like $400-$450 for two games, the system itself, and accessories. Probably would have saved some had I known how terrible 1 2 Switch was.

Thanks Herschie! Good to have a ballpark figure for what a realistic package would cost.

ptdebate wrote: I bought an Everdrive v3 for it for $190.

Wow. I see a v2.5 of the N64 Everdrive is around $100 - thats a lot more for the v3.0. What is the difference? I keep thinking of getting the turbo everdrive 2.0.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 16th, 2017, 6:34 pm

scotland wrote:
ptdebate wrote: I bought an Everdrive v3 for it for $190.

Wow. I see a v2.5 of the N64 Everdrive is around $100 - thats a lot more for the v3.0. What is the difference? I keep thinking of getting the turbo everdrive 2.0.

$100 is a good deal for the 2.5. The guts are pretty similar, but the 3.0 has a key difference--it backs saves by a battery rather than by storing in RAM. Apparently, with the 2.5 you must reset your console before turning the power off or you lose your saves. I don't know on a technical level why that is the case. But I bought the 3.0 so I could rest easy knowing I wouldn't accidentally delete my saves. It's still a good value if you consider that many n64 games cost $50+ now.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 17th, 2017, 8:21 am

Thanks. That is a notable difference. I would like to know why that is too, but we see with inexpensive devices like the At Games Genesis portable a complete inability to save even though its accessing writeable media for a user provided ROM.

I am at a good point on my N64 collection, but I am a fan - so wishing you many happy gaming hours with the everdrive. I know there are strong opinions on the other side, but I am glad these devices exist.

I looked for a simple hu card pin converter for awhile, and those were rare and $100 - and its just a pin converter.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 17th, 2017, 11:56 am

scotland wrote:Thanks. That is a notable difference. I would like to know why that is too, but we see with inexpensive devices like the At Games Genesis portable a complete inability to save even though its accessing writeable media for a user provided ROM.

I am at a good point on my N64 collection, but I am a fan - so wishing you many happy gaming hours with the everdrive. I know there are strong opinions on the other side, but I am glad these devices exist.

I looked for a simple hu card pin converter for awhile, and those were rare and $100 - and its just a pin converter.

Oh believe me, I'd prefer to have all the games in traditional cart format instead. But it's just prohibitively expensive for me ;). I think you and I are one of the few n64 apologists on the forum. It's not the best library, sure, but there's still a lot to love.

I'm curious about the Turbo Everdrive. Does it play CD games as well?

scotland

Postby scotland » August 17th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Oh no, its hu card support only. However, if you have a Turbo CD, you may be able to burn a disc image of a game yourself. I only have a TG-16. (actually 2 of them), but my collection is still pretty basic sold in the US fare.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 15th, 2017, 6:27 pm

I am looking at getting a new smartphone, and the prices are just in the stratosphere. The new Apple and the new Samsung top of the line phones are each $1000 phones, plus add in cases, chargers, screen protectors, etc. All of that is on top of your actual phone plan.

On the other hand, I just bought a new laptop, and I think I'm going to be happy with it for year. Its half the price of a new smartphone - and I'll keep it at least 2x as long, if not longer.

Certainly there are other choices of phones, from "I just want a phone, and maybe a camera sometimes" flipphone to kid/teen smartphones priced reasonably because kids and teens are rough on phones, to pretty full functioned Google phones to Motorola phones up in the $700 range, all the way to new Apple and Samsung with prices that would make Thurston Howell blink, and it made me rethink the price of my hobbies, including video gaming.

I still think the Nintendo Switch and its accessories are too expensive (compared to what you get in a PS4), but not to the jaw dropping levels that these new smartphone prices hit me with. At least if I buy a Nintendo Switch, I really intend to keep it working for 10 years (considering I still regularly game on my GBA SP). Or I can wait and see what happens to Nintendo portables in the next 2 years, because we might have seen the last 3DS/2DS iteration now.

I guess its all perspective.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 16th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Right now, I have a Switch, a carrying case, Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, Gunbarich, and Strikers 1945:

-Splatoon 2 and BotW: about $130, after taxes
-Gunbarich and Strikers 1945 were about $17 combined.
-Switch was about $330 after taxes.
-the carrying case was $15

So, I would say that the entire set up nearly set me back $500. I'll get a pro controller eventually, though I have no issue using the joycons.

Return to “Modern Gaming”