Guide to Removing Smoke Smell

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Guide to Removing Smoke Smell

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 13th, 2017, 10:56 am

I've developed a technique so effective I've decided to share it:

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/info/smoke.htm

Comments?

goldenband

Re: Guide to Removing Smoke Smell

Postby goldenband » August 14th, 2017, 12:25 am

Unfortunately, for some of us the odor of dryer sheets is much more offensive than smoke smell, because the perfumes used in those sheets can trigger migraines, itchy rashes, or other illness. It's probably not likely to happen with a manual since I don't wear it or bathe with it, but fabric softener/dryer sheet fragrance is one of the worst offenders and can give me a nasty headache or make me feel spaced-out and sick if it's on my clothing, so I really don't ever want to smell it. And I'm not nearly as sensitive to this stuff as some members of my family.

Of course there are fragrance-free dryer sheets but I doubt they'd have the effect you have in mind. There are other ways that don't involve using masking fragrances, like sealing the manual in a bag with baking soda or kitty litter (not in direct contact with the pages, of course).

And the hair dryer idea is a good one, though I'm not sure you need heat. I recently bought a pair of thrift-store pants that, even after several washes, stank of cheap detergent and/or fabric softener. I put them in front of a box fan for several hours, and it made a big difference -- 75% of the remaining odor was gone, which was enough for me to wear them.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 14th, 2017, 8:59 am

goldenband wrote:And the hair dryer idea is a good one, though I'm not sure you need heat.

Yeah, if the purpose is just to blow particles away, heat will do nothing but damage. A hair dryer can only "warp the pages slightly" if it's blasting them with hot air.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't realize some people were allergic to dryer sheets, and I didn't realize hair dryers had a non-hot mode. Might have to go back and tweak the article.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 16th, 2017, 6:20 am

An alternative is to use a plastic tub and closet deodorizers. This will remove the odors without replacing it with another odor or using heat. See articles like this
http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/advice/musty

Rev

Postby Rev » August 17th, 2017, 12:06 am

These are some good tips! Thanks Critic... Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Return to “Review Feedback”