Classic Consoles Upkeep

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
LuckyWDFN

Classic Consoles Upkeep

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 17th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I have a PS1, PS2, Atari 2600, Atari 800XL, Wii, and a Sega Genesis all hooked up to 3 TVs. I'll have 2 consoles on each TV all plugged in and just switch out the TV output switch whenever I want to toggle between systems. My point is, I usually just leave everything plugged in, even the the bulky old power supply boxes. I haven't really had a problem so far but i noticed my Genesis power supply box runs pretty hot, even when I'm not playing it. Do you guys leave all your stuff plugged in, or do you unplug (especially the power supplies) after each use? Any other tips to keep these these dinosaurs running?

Sut

Re: Classic Consoles Upkeep

Postby Sut » August 17th, 2017, 2:35 pm

My retro systems are all plugged in and set up in the loft but when not in use I turn them off at the mains.

The PS3 and PS4 are downstairs and they are left plugged in standby mainly for the auto updates and downloads.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 21st, 2017, 6:36 am

At the suggestion of the Critic, I picked up a few of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gem-Sound/S ... h-Panel.gc

They work great, and allow me to turn things on only when I need them. You can buy plug extenders at Wal-Mart (I think I got a 3-pack for under $10) that way you can plug in the bulky power bricks.

After using these I saw a noticeable decrease in my monthly electrical bill.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 21st, 2017, 10:19 am

Rookie1 wrote:At the suggestion of the Critic, I picked up a few of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gem-Sound/S ... h-Panel.gc

They work great, and allow me to turn things on only when I need them. You can buy plug extenders at Wal-Mart (I think I got a 3-pack for under $10) that way you can plug in the bulky power bricks.

After using these I saw a noticeable decrease in my monthly electrical bill.

Thanks guys, great ideas!

Return to “Classic Gaming”