2014/4/27: Atari XEGS: Micro League Baseball, Star League Baseball

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2014, 11:51 am

I went to great lengths to track down these two old games from my youth.  And they are still a heck of a lot of fun.

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » April 27th, 2014, 12:22 pm

While I have spent countless hours playing Star League Baseball on the Commodore 64 your review for the XEGS describes it almost identically.  One thing I think is worth mentioning (and adds a strategic element) is how your pitcher's "heat" is limited.  Throw too many fastballs too soon and you lose velocity - it makes a straight fastball quite hittable.  Unfortunately there isn't any kind of pitcher's stamina gauge to monitor this.  But still, this is a great game.

Nice reviews and timely as well......I think spring is finally here after this b.s. winter we've had!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 27th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I'm curious. Since it is so hard to find Atari floppies do you actually order them somewhere or are these games you've had for a long time? I have tried searching for them in the past (I own a Atari XEGS as well) but I have never really found them. Also, where did you get your floppy disk reader?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2014, 3:43 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]I'm curious. Since it is so hard to find Atari floppies do you actually order them somewhere or are these games you've had for a long time? I have tried searching for them in the past (I own a Atari XEGS as well) but I have never really found them. Also, where did you get your floppy disk reader?[/QUOTE]

I got the games off Ebay, but you're right, they are hard to find.  I have an Atari 1050 floppy disk drive.

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » April 27th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Played countless hours of Micro league on my C64 when I was a kid. One of my favorite games of all time. I would rate it a bit higher but that may just be nostalgia speaking. Miss my C64! Nice review

BorntoRun1

Postby BorntoRun1 » April 27th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Star League Baseball is a fun game, probably my second favorite on the Atari 8-Bit behind Hardball. Too bad RealSports Baseball wasn't released for it

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » April 28th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Micro League is a great game. I remember playing it as a kid and couldn't believe you could play as all of these old teams. Of course the first team I played as was the 27' Yankees. It's good to see sports game getting reviewed, and some responses. I know it's an underrepresented genre on these forums, but there's at least some here that enjoy sports.

bigfriendly

Microleague Baseball review

Postby bigfriendly » May 15th, 2017, 1:22 am

Just wanted to thank you for the Microleague Baseball review. I had kind of forgotten about that game but your review started flooding my mind with memories. My friend Jim had the game for his Apple//c and we really got into it. One interesting thing that I remember was that it had one terrible team on the game. Can't remember who it was. But it was always fun to play the great teams against the lone lousy team and blow them out. I could occasionally break 20 runs against them. However for some crazy reason the 1927 Yankees could never crush them. In fact it was always a stuggle every time I matched them up. Do you remember who that terrible team on the game was? Thanks :D

LuckyWDFN

Re: Microleague Baseball review

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 18th, 2017, 6:58 pm

bigfriendly wrote:Just wanted to thank you for the Microleague Baseball review. I had kind of forgotten about that game but your review started flooding my mind with memories. My friend Jim had the game for his Apple//c and we really got into it. One interesting thing that I remember was that it had one terrible team on the game. Can't remember who it was. But it was always fun to play the great teams against the lone lousy team and blow them out. I could occasionally break 20 runs against them. However for some crazy reason the 1927 Yankees could never crush them. In fact it was always a stuggle every time I matched them up. Do you remember who that terrible team on the game was? Thanks :D

The terrible team when I had mine in '84 was the '84 Cleveland Indians. I recently tracked down the floppy for my Atari 800XL on ebay and started playing again. I now need an '84 teams floppy so I can recreate the '84 Tigers vs '84 Cubs series we were all screwed out of.

ASalvaro

Re: 2014/4/27: Atari XEGS: Micro League Baseball, Star League Baseball

Postby ASalvaro » January 24th, 2024, 7:08 pm

you can't beat a single screen baseball game! they are just more fun...like Atari 5200 Realsports Baseball

Return to “Review Feedback”