Dogfighting games?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Dogfighting games?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 8th, 2017, 1:25 pm

So, one of this month's free PS+ games is Strike Vector Ex, a futuristic flying/dogfighting game. While I suppose it's well made and looks all right, I can't help but wonder: is there actually a good way to play these kinds of games? I was stuck on level 2 for almost an hour, and I'm not sure if it's because I suck, or if that's just how these kinds of games work. It was a neverending cycle of getting the guy in front of me, holding down the machine gun button, and then he's behind me and I have to fly in a big circle so I'll have another half second to shoot at him before turning around again. It doesn't help that the machine gun does so little damage you might as well be flicking water at your enemies, and that the baddies can pick up health icons to repair what little hurt you put on them. This has been my experience with every dogfighting game I've ever played: looping and turning endlessly and then starting over when I crash into a wall. Is that how they're supposed to be played, or is there some kind of strategy that I'm missing? What do you guys think?

snakeboy

Re: Dogfighting games?

Postby snakeboy » September 8th, 2017, 3:19 pm

When I read "dogfighting games", I thought you were going to tell us you were playing Michael Vick '17 or something.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 8th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Me too, I was expecting a thread discussing the ethics of a game with such an awful topic. Lol. And then I was like "flying?.....so these dogs have jet packs?!"

Lol. I'm glad it's Friday.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » September 8th, 2017, 7:27 pm

snakeboy wrote:When I read "dogfighting games", I thought you were going to tell us you were playing Michael Vick '17 or something.

Same here. I was wondering whether games involving fighting between dogs exist.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » September 8th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Enemy Houndoom used Bite!

Growlith, used Flamethrower!

;)

On the subject of dogfighting airplanes, you might want to read the TVTropes page on the Ace, real life section. Offers two strategies: 1) stay away from the fighting and pick off planes like a sniper, or 2) Dive into the fight, trying to hit as many enemies as possible.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 8th, 2017, 10:30 pm

[This post used to say something broadly similar to ThePixelatedGenocide's but much less helpful. It wouldn't have killed me to give some actual advice for someone who could obviously use it instead of just being a smartass. Sorry. :oops:]
Last edited by Stalvern on September 9th, 2017, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 8th, 2017, 11:43 pm

What you're doing now, is how you'd approach an early 3d arcade game. Dogfighting requires a bit more skill.

The idea is to think of it as a dance. If you anticipate where your enemy is going, you can follow them all the way, or even cut them off. Also, if you have any kind of missiles, they're generally way more effective. In real life modern air combat, you'll never see the enemy with your own eyes.

Return to “Video Games General”