Stay safe hurricane area

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Atarifever

Stay safe hurricane area

Postby Atarifever » September 9th, 2017, 6:21 pm

To anyone on here from Florida, Houston, or any of the other areas impacted by the hurricanes, hope you all stay safe. I had a basement flooded by hurricane Igor a few years ago (and an extended power outage, and the highway washed away in most directions, including in three places back up to where I live now). I remember how powerless you feel watching water flood in through the walls faster than you can get rid of it, and listening to wind tear at your house, all while the emergency services are tied up with bigger matters and you're all alone.

Hang in there and be safe. Thoughts and prayers.

matmico399

Re: Stay safe hurricane area

Postby matmico399 » September 15th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Thanks. Atlanta here but it got pretty hairy for a few hours. Most friends lost power, but somehow mine stayed on. But it Fried my wifi box. But overall feeling very blessed and thanks again!

scotland

Re: Stay safe hurricane area

Postby scotland » September 15th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Florida really did learn a lot from Hurricane Andrew when it comes to building codes for newer or renovated homes. Modern homes have strong roofs, and many people have hurricane shutters. Older homes were often made of cinder block, although roofs were not strong enough in many hurricanes. Many newer expensive homes are actually built on stilts, just done in ways its not always obvious.

I was a bit surprised at the initial push to evacuate a large part of the state, which led to all the gas shortages. In the past, its usually been more about people being aware and prepared, and knowing when to go to local shelters or to a friend/family members' home elsewhere in the state.

Return to “Other Media”