Deserving arcade games yet to be released on a compilation or digitally

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut

Re: Deserving arcade games yet to be released on a compilation or digitally

Postby Sut » June 11th, 2016, 6:20 am

Fantastic list Atariboy

Ditto on Berzerk, A good Turbo OutRun and Out Runners.

Revenge of Death Adder must be one of the most requested arcade ports of all time. Can't understand why Sega haven't ever released it.

Despite not being a wrestling fan, I loved WWF Wrestlefest for me the awesome cartoon style graphics and sheer number of wrestlers was amazing:
Attachments
image.png
image.png (42.25 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

brendand

Postby brendand » June 13th, 2016, 7:27 am

For good reason since a lot of the old Midway team was on this project. They undoubtedly were out to create a spiritual successor to that classic. From my one time on a H20verdrive machine, I'd say that they did an amazing job.

Happily Microsoft had similar thoughts right around the same time about creating a sequel. But I think this one is even better than Hydro Thunder Hurricane is (Which was one of the few digital exclusives that the Critic has made an exception for and reviewed, so you know that they did a good job).[/quote] damn i wish there was dual game disc with both hurricane and overdrive on it that would be really good stuff and would appeal to speed freaks and arcade racer fans

Tron

Postby Tron » June 14th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Sut wrote:Fantastic list Atariboy

Ditto on Berzerk, A good Turbo OutRun and Out Runners.

Revenge of Death Adder must be one of the most requested arcade ports of all time. Can't understand why Sega haven't ever released it.

Despite not being a wrestling fan, I loved WWF Wrestlefest for me the awesome cartoon style graphics and sheer number of wrestlers was amazing:

Yes Yes Yes! That's my favorite wrestling arcade game. It's sooooooo much better than all the others. I wish I could play it again.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 14th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Add Lady Bug, Mouse Trap, and Venture to my list.

All saw nice home adaptions back in the day and of course can be enjoyed via homebrew emulation, but that doesn't erase my desire to see the originals accurately represented on modern console hardware.

Hopefully AtGames does a compilation eventually that collects many of these excellent arcade games from the early 1980's that haven't been given their due on modern systems thanks to originating from 2nd tier publishers like Stern. The Exidy library and other such smaller publishers contributed quite a few iconic games to this special time, but only the big guys like Atari and Williams have seen much representation.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » June 15th, 2016, 12:58 am

I'm still waiting on The Lost World and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade. When the Dreamcast was first anounced I thought for sure we were going to get all the Model 3 games. :(

I'm not even sure if they were really great games becasue I haven't played them in so long, but, wow, if they weren't a visual feast back in the day.

Den

Postby Den » June 15th, 2016, 9:26 am

I used to love an arcade game called Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters. Not sure if it's ever been released in a home version, but I've never seen it.

What about Sega's excellent racer Rad Mobile? I think it had the very first appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 15th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Rad Mobile saw a Japanese release as Gale Racer on the Sega Saturn. It's reasonably well represented there including the Sonic air freshener hanging from the mirror, although the draw distance takes a hit and it's certainly not arcade perfect.

If Sega ever brings this to home hardware again, I hope that they don't forget to include its rare sequel, Rad Rally.

I'm surprised that Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters never appeared in something like Midway Arcade Treasures. But they just finally allowed Blasteroids out of the vault via Lego Dimensions, which was another late 80's Atari Games release. So there's still hope for that one, someday.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 15th, 2016, 4:12 pm

Escape from the planet of robot monsters was released on the European home computers (Amiga, ST, Spectrum, C64 and Amstrad). Can't recall a console release though.

Agree with Atariboy. Gale Racer takes a bit of a presentation hit but still plays pretty well.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 14th, 2017, 5:37 pm

We can scratch Mario Bros. off the list. :)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ndo_switch

Digital only and likely $8 a pop if I remember the prices for other Arcade Archives releases from Hamster (Nintendo isn't doing this directly), but it's still a pleasure to see Nintendo's arcade library finally having a presence at long last. Hopefully Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. follow.

And for the record, Turbo Outrun has escaped the vaults since I first started this thread. Still a Japanese exclusive on the region locked 3DS though, so it's sadly a moot point for most western gamers. And Sega doesn't seem too interested in changing that anytime soon, despite the continued success of the 3DS as a platform.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » September 14th, 2017, 7:03 pm

The Cruis'n trilogy! I especially love the last one, Cruis'n Exotica. I remember going to my local mesquite grill and chewing on a giant gumball while driving a Corvette through Mars. Those were the days.

Yeah... I know there's an elephant in the room regarding the N64 versions, but none of them were quite arcade-perfect. And for a while, Cruis'n Exotica - my favorite game in the series as I had mentioned - ran HORRIBLY on MAME. They did update it recently so that it runs a lot smoother and more beautifully, but the sound is still very choppy. And besides, I don't get along very well with a keyboard as a controller. So unless there's a good enough controller for MAME and they do finally perfect the ROM, I would prefer if they just re-release it as well as the other two Cruis'n games on PS4 (preferably with the original licensed vehicles, unlike the N64 version). In fact, I think someone reading this should just start a petition to make it happen! I'd do it myself, but I never seem to find the time.

Return to “Video Games General”