10/28/2006: Xbox 360: Condemned, Dead Rising, X-Arcade Unplugged Volume 1

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 30th, 2006, 3:37 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

I personally think Geometry Wars is highly overrated. Personally I liked the game but maybe I am just getting old as the frenetic pace tends to kill me off rather early. I just didn't think there was that much variety in the game.

[/QUOTE]

Shawn, it took me a couple of weeks to even break a 100,000.  Geometry Wars has a pretty good learning curve to it.  Not that you're looking for advice or anything but if you don't mind a little help the tips below will help bump your score immediately

1.  Go slow at the beginning on killing everything in sight.  Just sit tight and don't move or go slowly around and just kill what's going to run into you first.  Doing so delays the harder groupings of the four black holes at each corner and multiple enemies coming at you from all sides.

2.  Try to go in an oval around the board not too far from the edge and not too close to the center. 

3.  Sway your shots using a small side to side motion to increase the angle at which you fire.

4.  Fly forward and shoot forward.  If you get to used to flying away from enemies and shooting backwards you're screwed on the harder enemy spawns as they're everywhere.

5.  Activate the blackholes but be prepared for the aftermath if you can't close it in time.

6.  If you're playing on a big screen/small screen (doesn't matter) sit closer to the tv.  Seriously, it helps tremedously as you can see things in a lot more detail and have a better idea of which area will kill you quicker.

7.  Use your bombs - far too often I'll die and still have several bombs left.  Each bomb you use to get you out of trouble gets a you little closer to a bigger multiplier where you'll rack up points exponetially.

I still haven't gotten all the achievements in this one.  I lack the 10x multiplier, 9 bombs in reserve, and survive for a 1,000,000.  Oh, well, maybe one day.  Best score so far is just over 1.5 million.

Good luck

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 30th, 2006, 4:37 pm

No that's cool and thanks for the advice b/c I need it! My best score is a lousy $250K. Like I said, I do like the game and the price wasn't bad either. The only other question I have is about the black holes? What exactly do they do for me (I always try to shoot them, wrong?) and how do I "activate" them. Thanks again for the advice!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 31st, 2006, 8:35 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

No that's cool and thanks for the advice b/c I need it! My best score is a lousy $250K. Like I said, I do like the game and the price wasn't bad either. The only other question I have is about the black holes? What exactly do they do for me (I always try to shoot them, wrong?) and how do I "activate" them. Thanks again for the advice!

[/QUOTE]

Yep, you got it.  Just shoot them once and they're activated.  As you've probably noticed the more enemies that get sucked into them the bigger the gravitational charge gets which works to your advantage.  If you stagger the activation of each black hole as you circle the board you can setup a chain reaction.  When one black hole explodes/goes supernova the offspring will zoom at you.  If you're near another black hole those guys will get sucked in as well and then that black hole will also go supernova.  As a result, you can sequentially use the black holes to your advantage.  It's more luck and intuitive play than anything else.  It's still a good idea to try to keep the black holes from exploding by shooting them back down but not completely destroying them.  Eventually you're just not going to get to all of the black holes in time; hence the sequential chain reaction technique.

Oh, it took me awhile to figure out how to survive the mayflies, you know the swarm of hundreds of tiny little bugs.  Take a bigger circle route staying closer to the wall at the corners section.  You just want to shoot a hole through the mayflies and keep going.  As they all spill out and swarm to the center the thinest section of the mayflies is at the tail end.  It's really hard to describe and takes a lot of trial and error.  Head for the tail end sections and keep blasting.  If you make it around once then you've got them in a huge bundle in the middle and they're a piece of cake.

I still haven't figured out a good strategy for the little mayflies and the red pac-man looking guys when they spawn together.  Separately they're a piece of cake.  But together I'm a goner.

Maybe if there's ever a Geometry Wars 2 they'll throw in a co-op mode or a vs mode.  Might be fun to see whatever enemies get sucked into the black holes end up in your world. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 4th, 2006, 11:31 am

[QUOTE=Shawn]

Any other 360 reviews in the pipeline?

[/QUOTE]

Last winter I started reviewing Call of Duty 2 and Amped 3, but my appetite for games changes with the seasons, so I had to stop playing snow games in favor of jungle/pirate games.  Anyway, the weather's getting colder so I should be able to complete those reviews in the next month or so.  Probably even sooner I'll have the latest basketball and hockey games reviewed.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » November 4th, 2006, 4:45 pm

If you're looking for snow games, may I suggest the excellent N64 game Snowboard Kids (it has a sequel as well, but I never played it)?

a1

Postby a1 » November 4th, 2006, 10:32 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]If you're looking for snow games, may I suggest the excellent N64 game Snowboard Kids (it has a sequel as well, but I never played it)? [/QUOTE]

Great game. The sequels basically the same thing, so it doesn't make much difference which one you review.

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » November 4th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Critic, F.E.A.R. is a good title for the 360. In fact Call of Duty 3 for the 360 wouldn't hurt either. It's coming out this Tuesday. F.E.A.R.'s already out.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » November 6th, 2006, 6:46 am

Thanks for the reply critic! I thought COD2 was a really great game. Currently I am into NHL 07 and I am really enjoying it, looking forwad to your review of that in the future. Since you are a sports nut, you may want to check out Table Tennis. I think it is a little overrated in general but still a solid title, especially since you can pick it up cheap. Keep up the good work.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » November 10th, 2006, 7:13 am

Call of Duty 3 is being developed by the monkeys that gave us The Big Red One not the guys who did the 360 and PC Call of Duty 2.

Return to “Review Feedback”