Halloween Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Halloween Games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2017, 8:42 pm

It's almost time to update my Halloween special. Any missing games you would recommend?

http://videogamecritic.com/extras/themes/halloween.htm

Crummylion

Re: Halloween Games?

Postby Crummylion » September 19th, 2017, 11:48 pm

How about Nightmare Before Christmas: Oggie Boogie's Revenge?
It's basically Devil May Cry for kids. There should one on the PS2 and Xbox.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 20th, 2017, 12:34 am

I thought of the VGC Halloween Special as I was playing Captain Tomaday for the Neo Geo recently. Captain Tomaday is a vertical shooter starring a flying tomato.. The first level has a Halloween theme, with graveyards and enemies that include bats and jack-o-lanterns. Yes, it's as awful as it sounds, and I gave up after the first level. So I'm not sure if the theme continues beyond that level. Also, I have no clue how a flying tomato makes sense as the main character for a Halloween theme, but it's a strange game that way. On the bright side, it is one of the very few games with a Halloween theme that doesn't try to be creepy/scary or survival horror.

I can't recommend it as a game, but it might fit the bill if you ever get desperate. Here's a gameplay video of the first level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RhvzGSCIlk

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 20th, 2017, 9:05 am

Crummylion wrote:How about Nightmare Before Christmas: Oggie Boogie's Revenge?
It's basically Devil May Cry for kids. There should one on the PS2 and Xbox.

I second this one too. I actually thought you had already reviewed it. I picked it up recently myself because of the theme, but haven't tried it yet. Looks like a pretty average game, but worth the pickup for the Halloween Special. Won't break the bank either; I think it goes for like $10.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 20th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Excellent suggestions guys! Thank you! This is the reason why I posted this thread.

I just ordered Oggie's Revenge off ebay, and Captain Tomaday is on my Neo Geo multicart. I will certainly review both and determine if they make the cut for the Halloween special.

My current list of Halloween games I'm reviewing this season:
The Calling (Wii)
Addams Family (Genesis)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (DS)
Resident Evil Revelations 2 (XB1)
Ghouls and Ghosts (SuperGrafx) - I'm getting a Retro Freak console so I can finally review this.

Keep the ideas coming.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 20th, 2017, 5:32 pm

It looks like Decap Attack isn't on the Halloween page even though you've reviewed it. It's a pretty obvious fit.

You're right - I just added this one. Great game too. Good atmosphere.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 20th, 2017, 6:25 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Excellent suggestions guys! Thank you! This is the reason why I posted this thread.

I just ordered Oggie's Revenge off ebay, and Captain Tomaday is on my Neo Geo multicart. I will certainly review both and determine if they make the cut for the Halloween special.

My current list of Halloween games I'm reviewing this season:
The Calling (Wii)
Addams Family (Genesis)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (DS)
Resident Evil Revelations 2 (XB1)
Ghouls and Ghosts (SuperGrafx) - I'm getting a Retro Freak console so I can finally review this.

Keep the ideas coming.

Critic, I have a question on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game for the Nintendo DS, or you doing the review on the Nintendo DS Lite, or the New Nintendo 3DS XL with the bigger screen so it is easier to see the game? Can you please tell me which system you are using?

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 20th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 20th, 2017, 6:49 pm

Your mention of Buffy reminded me that there are two X-Files video games, if you have interest in that show. There is "The X-Files" on PS1, which is an FMV adventure game that uses real actors (including cameos from Mulder, Scully, Skinner, and other characters). It is not remotely a good game, but the FMV aspect at least makes it unique. There is also "The X-Files: Resist or Serve" for PS2, which is a survival horror game that plays like a clone of the earlier Resident Evils. It's a decent X-Files story, voiced by the real actors. It is not in RE's league though.. "below average" at best. But, as you would say.."bump it up a letter grade if you're a fan of the show."

Also, maybe check out "The Simpsons: Night of the Living Treehouse of Horror" for Game Boy Color. It's based on the Simpsons annual Halloween special, and plus it'd be good to add a new GBC review. I've never played it, but it got decent reviews.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » September 20th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Splatterhouse Wanpaki Grafitti, for the Famicom. It's basically a cute version of the Splatterhouse games on the Turbo Grafx-16 and Sega Genesis, but it's a real hoot to play. Very hard game, though, as you only get one life and a handful of continues to get through it.

Return to “Video Games General”